Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External drives in Monterey

Anybody fix the problem of external drives not showing up in Monterey 12.5 ?

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 1:47 AM

Whenever you connect an external drive to your mac, the storage drive may not show up on Desktop, Finder or even on Disk Utility due to various reasons:

1. USB connectivity problem

2. MacOS preference settings

3. Partition map damage

4. Device incompatibility

5. Physical damage on a drive

However, to fix the issue, you can try the below methods:

1. Check the USB connectivity

2. Enable visibility of external hard drive

3. Update macOS

4. Repair external hard drive by using Disk Utility

5. Repair external hard drive by using Terminal

6. Erase the external hard drive

7. If none of the above works, then the drive needs replacement

Hope it helps!

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2022 1:47 AM in response to anitafromfitzroy north

Whenever you connect an external drive to your mac, the storage drive may not show up on Desktop, Finder or even on Disk Utility due to various reasons:

1. USB connectivity problem

2. MacOS preference settings

3. Partition map damage

4. Device incompatibility

5. Physical damage on a drive

However, to fix the issue, you can try the below methods:

1. Check the USB connectivity

2. Enable visibility of external hard drive

3. Update macOS

4. Repair external hard drive by using Disk Utility

5. Repair external hard drive by using Terminal

6. Erase the external hard drive

7. If none of the above works, then the drive needs replacement

Hope it helps!

Aug 18, 2022 4:08 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Wouldn't show up in the Finder OR the desktop OR Disk Utility - completely missing in action.

I searched the internet and found the problem was quite common with nobody having a satisfactory solution.

After spending a few days with Apple people helping me it was decided nothing was working and it was best to downgrade.

I had years of work on those external drives and couldn't afford to lose them.

I'm on a 2019 high spec 27inch iMac so it should have been OK... but it wasn't. External disks are 2 thunderbolt G-Raids.

Aug 18, 2022 4:49 PM in response to Old Toad

Indeed I did, rest assured I went through all that basic stuff even before going through it all again with Apple staff.

It does seem Monterey does have issues with external drives, maybe even port issues because an internet search showed lots of people with similar problems after upgrading.

Anyway, after downgrading, the drives showed up immediately, mercifully.

Aug 18, 2022 7:27 PM in response to anitafromfitzroy north

Another common reason for drives seemingly not available after an upgrade to the MacOS is firmware or third party disk tools (most drive manufacturers offer them and encourage their use) that need to be upgraded to be used with Monterey. If the macOS previous is old enough, the new version of the third party disk tools might not be installable because it is not compatible with the old MacOS. But then after upgrading, the old disk tools software no longer works and upgrading it from the manufacturer's web site is needed to be able to use the external drives. This is a hassle and is why many recommend against those third party tools. Other problems can result from anti-virus tools and "cleaning" software tools.

Maybe none of the above applies to you. It might be worth tracking down the issue, however, because Mojave is a fairly old MacOS and eventually will lack compatibility with newer software. Many of use multiple external drives in Monterey from multiple manufacturers and don't see these issues, so often the problem is a result of something that was installed that is no longer compatible. This can be determined by running Etrecheck, a free download, and posting the results here under Additional text button below.

External drives in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.