Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite 10.10.5 to El Capitan 10.11.6

Help! My mother never updates anything. She was recently curious why her browsers were stalling/acting up and I asked if she had updated them recently. The air was thick with silence.

She has a MacBook Pro 5,5 that was still running Yosemite so I figured i would help and get to the final update that her Pro would take; El Capitan. So, I found the link on Apple's site for El Capitan and proceeded to download.

Now, the install stalls a few minutes into the process and I cannot get it to finish and cannot get the machine to revert back to Yosemite. I know that the 5,5 is compatible with El Capitan, because I had the same model and it ran just fine.

So, why does El Capitan start and then stall and how to get it to finish. Worst case is to revert back to Yosemite to get the Mac to run again, if that's even possible.

I appreciate anyone who can help me tackle this issue. Thank you.

Daniel

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 4:48 AM

It should but the issue is lightly the Certificate from Apple contained in the Installer has Expired.

Apple has been bad at this for some time now.

Suggestion would to Disconnect from Internet and change to date back to around 2015. This is not a typo error.

We are trying to Trick the Installer to believing the date is 2015 and therefore the Certificate while have not appear to have Expired

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2022 4:48 AM in response to Dan Parra

It should but the issue is lightly the Certificate from Apple contained in the Installer has Expired.

Apple has been bad at this for some time now.

Suggestion would to Disconnect from Internet and change to date back to around 2015. This is not a typo error.

We are trying to Trick the Installer to believing the date is 2015 and therefore the Certificate while have not appear to have Expired

Aug 16, 2022 7:35 PM in response to PRP_53

PPhillips,

Your suggestion is a clever trick, but I cannot get the old or new OS to load to get to the point of System Preferences to change the date/year. UPDATE: I just figured out how to change the date in the Terminal Window. Guess what? IT WORKED! I got the full install of El Capitan to finish and it's much faster/smoother than before. YOU ARE A GENIUS!

Daniel

Yosemite 10.10.5 to El Capitan 10.11.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.