Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad OS15 how to increase space around icons?

The OS15 update squished all my icons together. I know how to increase size of icons, I know how to rearrange icons. But how can I specify fewer icons on a page to increase the space around them? The grid of the iPad homepage is so cram-jammed.

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 1:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 1:40 AM

The Home screen App, App folder and Widgets occupy a fixed grid - the number of columns and rows being fixed for any particular model of iPad.

By example, the Home Screens of an iPad Pro with iPadOS15 installed will show a 6 column by 5 row grid without widgets - or 6x4 with widgets. This grid arrangement is otherwise not configurable.

Apple do invite submission of comments or feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Product Feedback - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2022 1:40 AM in response to galechicago

The Home screen App, App folder and Widgets occupy a fixed grid - the number of columns and rows being fixed for any particular model of iPad.

By example, the Home Screens of an iPad Pro with iPadOS15 installed will show a 6 column by 5 row grid without widgets - or 6x4 with widgets. This grid arrangement is otherwise not configurable.

Apple do invite submission of comments or feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Product Feedback - Apple

Aug 16, 2022 2:43 AM in response to galechicago

While I can perhaps understand your frustration at having a fixed grid array, of itself, this isn’t new - but has always been a feature of iOS/iPadOS. What is new in iPadOS15.x is the ability to place widgets on the Home Screens - as opposed to being restricted to just the Today view.

As for being cramped or “over populated”, I have the opposite view. When using standard (non-zoomed) Home Screen icons with an iPad Pro, there is simply too much wasted space between icons. Personally, I’d prefer to see a greater icon density - not less! 🙂

iPad OS15 how to increase space around icons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.