Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Utility vs OS X Montery

On the new Mac Studio, Airport Utility doesn't show the path, just Internet. Works fine on Snow Leopard. Shows the entire path. Now, I know I can work-around it by "File->Configure Other" and typing in the IP and password, but I'm wondering if there is any way to get it working correctly. This is the tall box design of AirPort Extreme with 7.9.1.

Mac Studio, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 9:43 PM

The AirPort Utility relies on both Bonjour (mDNS) & IPv6 to locate an AirPort base station.

When having difficulties accessing the AirPort thru the AirPort Utility, try the following, in order, checking for accessibility with the utility after each step:

• Check the local connection. If you are trying to access the AirPort wirelessly, make sure that you are connected to its wireless network before running the AirPort Utility to administer it. If you are still unable to access it with the utility, temporarily connect your computer directly using an Ethernet cable to one of the base station's LAN ports.
  • Verify that both the base station and your computer are configured for, at least, IPv6 Link-local only.
    • For a Mac: System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi or Ethernet > Advanced> TCP/IP tab > Configure IPv6: Link-local only
    • For the AirPort base station:
      • From a Mac: AirPort Utility > Select the base station > Edit > Internet tab > Internet Options… > Configure IPv6: Link-local only
      • From an iOS device: AirPort Utility  > Tap on the base station > Tap on Edit > Tap on Advanced > Tap on IPv6 > Change Configure IPv6 to: Link-local only > Tap on Done
  • Power cycle the base station. Remove the power adapter's plug from the power outlet, and then, wait 15 seconds before plugging it back in.
  • Perform a "factory default" reset on the base station.
  • Finally, if you are attempting to access the AirPort via an Ethernet connection, be sure that your Ethernet port is NOT configured for Jumbo Frames, i.e., using an MTU of 9000+.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2022 9:43 PM in response to Jerry Jorgenson

The AirPort Utility relies on both Bonjour (mDNS) & IPv6 to locate an AirPort base station.

When having difficulties accessing the AirPort thru the AirPort Utility, try the following, in order, checking for accessibility with the utility after each step:

• Check the local connection. If you are trying to access the AirPort wirelessly, make sure that you are connected to its wireless network before running the AirPort Utility to administer it. If you are still unable to access it with the utility, temporarily connect your computer directly using an Ethernet cable to one of the base station's LAN ports.
  • Verify that both the base station and your computer are configured for, at least, IPv6 Link-local only.
    • For a Mac: System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi or Ethernet > Advanced> TCP/IP tab > Configure IPv6: Link-local only
    • For the AirPort base station:
      • From a Mac: AirPort Utility > Select the base station > Edit > Internet tab > Internet Options… > Configure IPv6: Link-local only
      • From an iOS device: AirPort Utility  > Tap on the base station > Tap on Edit > Tap on Advanced > Tap on IPv6 > Change Configure IPv6 to: Link-local only > Tap on Done
  • Power cycle the base station. Remove the power adapter's plug from the power outlet, and then, wait 15 seconds before plugging it back in.
  • Perform a "factory default" reset on the base station.
  • Finally, if you are attempting to access the AirPort via an Ethernet connection, be sure that your Ethernet port is NOT configured for Jumbo Frames, i.e., using an MTU of 9000+.

Aug 16, 2022 5:29 PM in response to Jerry Jorgenson

Interestingly, Apple has not released a newer version of the AirPort Utility. It currently stands at version 6.3.9, and was first introduced with macOS Mojave. It is still the same version for Monterey.

With Apple exiting the networking hardware business in early 2018, I don't think we will see it updated when Ventura is released later this year.

Regardless, I have a number of Mac (just not a Mac Studio), that are running Monterey and I am not seeing this issue on any of them. Albeit, I only have one "tower" Time Capsule left running on my local network.

Snow Leopard, AFAIK, still used version 5.x of the AirPort Utility.

Aug 17, 2022 3:09 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks!! That explains it. I had to turn ipv6 off on Wi-Fi because the Wi-Fi interfaces on both the Mini and Studio kept bouncing between up and "on but not configured" when local-link only was set. When trying to set manual IPs, they would keep switching back to DHCP preventing me from setting the IP addresses. Only turning off ipv6 fixed the bouncing issue.

Airport Utility vs OS X Montery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.