Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4k Monitor to MacbookPro running at 30Hz

Hello, I have a LG 4k Monitor (LG 32UK580) connected to my MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2016), using macOS Monterrey 12.5, and for some reason it is impossible to use it at 60Hz. It only works at 30Hz. I'm connecting it through HDMI cable and Apple's USB-C to Digital AV (Model A2119). I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 4:55 PM

10 replies

Aug 17, 2022 10:45 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant,

I understand by your link that my computer is too old to connect it through the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.

> 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz with these devices: 15-inch MacBook Pro introduced in 2017 or later).

But in the tech specs we find something different:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) - Technical Specifications

Video Support:

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

• Up to two displays with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
  • Up to four displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • VGA, HDMI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

The LG monitor has 2 HDMI and a DisplayPort conector. Should I try a DisplayPort cable? Am I understanding something wrong here. Thank you and thanks everyone!!!

Aug 18, 2022 5:49 PM in response to John O'Hare

The MacBook Pro (15 inch, 2016) can definitely can run 4k at 60Hz with no problem, but it has to be through the DisplayPort to USB-C.

I first bought the new Apple's USB-C to Digital AV (Model A2119) adaptor ($100) > This doesn't work.

Then I bought a $17 adapter (payed $4 with a discount), and it runs smoothly at 60Hz with all the resolutions available.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Aug 16, 2022 6:35 PM in response to John O'Hare

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Monitors (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

Aug 17, 2022 12:19 PM in response to John O'Hare

The Integrated graphics in your Mac are completely beside the point.

When you connect an external display, only the Discrete Graphics chip is used for all displays.

"""""

HDMI was invented for consumer displays. when you have to push it near the 4K limits, it falls apart.

Your very nice LG display can accept a DisplayPort input, and a DisplayPort input is what you should use for fast, trouble-free display anywhere near 4K resolution or higher.

A cable/adapter like this one will fix you right up:

Monoprice USB Type-C to DisplayPort 3.1 Cable - 5Gbps, Active, 4K@60Hz, Black, 6ft - Product # 24444 - $22.49

4k Monitor to MacbookPro running at 30Hz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.