You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a blinking folder with question Mark inside

My apple computer has a blinking folder with question mark inside

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 9:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2022 10:21 PM

According to Apple:

A folder with a flashing question mark means that your startup disk is no longer available or doesn't contain a working Mac operating system.

If the question mark is persistent, and your Mac does not start up normally:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.
  3. Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk. Follow the steps for a Mac with an Intel processor.
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.

Need more help?

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2022 10:21 PM in response to AceMackin22

According to Apple:

A folder with a flashing question mark means that your startup disk is no longer available or doesn't contain a working Mac operating system.

If the question mark is persistent, and your Mac does not start up normally:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.
  3. Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk. Follow the steps for a Mac with an Intel processor.
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.

Need more help?

I have a blinking folder with question Mark inside

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.