Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer to new iPhone - content transfer question

Hi, I have an offer from Sprint/T-Mobile to trade up from an XR to a new iPhone 13 Pro at no charge. I do NOT use I-Cloud, but it was suggested as the best way to back up my contents of my old phone and then restore the contents to the New iPhone. What I've done in the past has been using an I-Tunes backup to restore to a new device after activation. For various reasons I am using Mojave as my latest OS on the machine I backup to/from. Would I encounter any issue with restoring this backup using I-Tunes from the XR backup to the new Pro 13 Plus? Otherwise. What other option(s) exist? Is there any way to get some sort of "temporary" ICloud access for the amount of storage needed for a backup and restore?

Thank you for any advice,

Mike

iPhone XR

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 10:49 AM

Hi Mike,

Congrats on the new iPhone. I don't know if you're into photography, but you're going to love portrait mode and cinematic mode is incredible.

You can use iTunes to backup and restore your data.

-> Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You may also qualify to receive temporary cloud storage, you'll want to make sure Messages & Notes are included in the backup. These may not be included, depending on your settings. Your notes may be "Stored on this iPhone" since you mentioned you do not use iCloud and Messages aren't automatically backed up due to file size.

-> Get temporary iCloud storage when you buy a new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2022 10:49 AM in response to MIKEinMICH

Hi Mike,

Congrats on the new iPhone. I don't know if you're into photography, but you're going to love portrait mode and cinematic mode is incredible.

You can use iTunes to backup and restore your data.

-> Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You may also qualify to receive temporary cloud storage, you'll want to make sure Messages & Notes are included in the backup. These may not be included, depending on your settings. Your notes may be "Stored on this iPhone" since you mentioned you do not use iCloud and Messages aren't automatically backed up due to file size.

-> Get temporary iCloud storage when you buy a new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Aug 17, 2022 10:49 AM in response to MIKEinMICH

There is a way to transfer your data from an old phone to a new phone with temporary unlimited iCloud storage. On your old phone, launch settings and then go to general. Then scroll to the bottom and tap on "Transfer or Reset iPhone". Then tap on get started. Follow the on screen instructions and then finish setting up your new phone with a download from a iCloud Backup.

Hope this helps!

Aug 17, 2022 11:03 AM in response to jeromyk

Hi, thanks for the quick replies! Actually just for simplicity sake, since I've had compatibility issues trying the iTunes method on different Macs i use...i shelled out a couple of dollars for a month of 200gb ICloud backup...which will simplify restoring the old contents onto the newly activated device if I go into the Sprint -TMobile store to get the new 13 Pro... just figured i can download it myself once they activate the new device, rather than letting them deal with my transfer of data. Maybe i''m overthinking it: ) Anyway, i will likely at least do an iTunes backup anyway if i can just as a 'back up of the backup' as it were.

AFAIK, i can just drop the ICloud subscription before the end of the first month anyway...so no major expense involved

Thanks!!

Transfer to new iPhone - content transfer question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.