Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hand washing notifications

Hello, I just recently got an Apple Watch se and I am unable to turn on hand washing reminders on it. When I go to press the toggle on my Apple Watch, it is grayed out and says-

“reminders aren’t available because “Precise Location” must be turned on and “allow location access” must be set to “always” in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Handwashing on your iPhone”

When I follow these instructions, Allow location access is grayed out for all options (Never, Ask or When I Share, While using the app, always). In my case, it’s stuck on Never.

The hand washing timer feature IS working but the notifications are not.

Ive tried so many different things but nothing is working. Please Help. Thanks

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 8

Posted on Aug 17, 2022 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 5:57 PM

Hi anusha6383,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand the importance of the hand washing feature and want to help. Yesterday Apple released updates for both the iPhone and the Apple Watch. For the iPhone the new update is iOS 15.6.1, and for the Apple Watch it's watchOS 8.7.1. We recommend updating both of your devices, then attempting to set up your hand washing notifications again.

Keep us posted.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2022 5:57 PM in response to anusha6383

Hi anusha6383,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand the importance of the hand washing feature and want to help. Yesterday Apple released updates for both the iPhone and the Apple Watch. For the iPhone the new update is iOS 15.6.1, and for the Apple Watch it's watchOS 8.7.1. We recommend updating both of your devices, then attempting to set up your hand washing notifications again.

Keep us posted.

Hand washing notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.