Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smashed screen - WhatsApp retention

I hope this isn't too convoluted. The screen of my iphone 7 plus smashed last week and wouldn't recognise my touch to unlock it. That's when I realised how stupid I was for not having iCloud back up, or voice recognition as another way to unlock it. The main thing I was devastated about was the possibility I'd lost years of whatsapp messages with my brother who died suddenly in May. All the ways of unlocking it I looked up said the data would be erased. So I got a new phone, a refurbished samsung because I'd only bought the refurbished iPhone in February this year and figured a) that it was nearing the end of it's time for receiving updates, and b) getting the screen fixed would cost more than getting a newer model samsung with more features.

I thought connecting to my WhatsApp account under the same phone number would restore all the messages. However, it didn't because it asked to connect to my phone which I couldn't do, so WhatsApp installed on the Samsung completely blank - clean slate. I've also since learned you can install WhatsApp on your desktop and that would have retained my brother's messages (I think)?

Upshot is, I'm wondering if I get the smashed screen fixed on the iPhone, insert the sim (same one) and open WhatsApp, will the message history still be there or will it have erased there too?

Any advice or suggestions hugely welcomed.

Thanks,

Paula

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 12:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 1:41 AM

WhatsApp data is not part of an iPhone Backup either on iCloud or iTunes.

WhatsApp stores its chat backup through its own built-in App Settings on iCloud. See the pic below

If you had not enabled that then I am sorry you need to contact the app developer here --> App Support or WhatsApp FAQ  Or Restoring your chat history - WhatsApp FAQ or Contact WhatsApp

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2022 1:41 AM in response to Parcari

WhatsApp data is not part of an iPhone Backup either on iCloud or iTunes.

WhatsApp stores its chat backup through its own built-in App Settings on iCloud. See the pic below

If you had not enabled that then I am sorry you need to contact the app developer here --> App Support or WhatsApp FAQ  Or Restoring your chat history - WhatsApp FAQ or Contact WhatsApp

Aug 18, 2022 2:26 AM in response to Parcari

WhatsApp just replied that my question is outside the scope of their support...?

Does anyone have any first hand experience that might help me? Just to know if I get the screen fixed on the iPhone 7, should the WhatsApp message history created on that phone still be there, or will my having started a new WhatsApp account on my Samsung mean it will have erased?

Thank you.

Paula

Smashed screen - WhatsApp retention

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.