Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot install macOS Monterey

Hi to everyone, i have a problem on my MacBook Air (2020).

I want to update macOS Big Sur to macOS Monterey, but when I try to install it using the installer, when it asks me the administrator credentials, I insert them but it does not works.

What can I do?

Thanks

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 5:20 AM

This is specific to updating from Big Sur 11.6.1 to Big Sur 11.6.8

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue. Removal of the AV Software may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

8 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal and Try Again using the Software Update Applet in System Preferences 

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2022 5:20 AM in response to messedo09

This is specific to updating from Big Sur 11.6.1 to Big Sur 11.6.8

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue. Removal of the AV Software may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

8 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal and Try Again using the Software Update Applet in System Preferences 

Aug 19, 2022 1:43 AM in response to messedo09

It would appear that the Admin Account has Lost its' privileges as an Admin Account.

The supplied link may help regain your Admin Privileges again

That or >>

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

Intel Computer

1 - Restart computer and immediately hold Command + r keys

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

I cannot install macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.