Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm updating from iphone 8S to iphone 13, I do NOT want to transfer my photos to the new phone. How is that accomplished?

I'm updating from iphone 8S to iphone 13, I do NOT want to transfer my photos to the new phone. How is that accomplished?

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 9:39 AM

That depends on how you are storing your photos.

If you are using iCloud Photos, then don't turn on the option in Settings->Account(top of settings)->iCloud->Photos not he new iPhone.

If you aren't using iCloud Photos and you restore a backup from the old iPhone to the new one, then there is no way to prevent this. The Photos are part of the backup and will be restored along side the other data in the backup.

You are free to delete them from the iPhone afterwards however, and they will not affect the photos on the old phone in that case.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2022 9:39 AM in response to crackers2000

That depends on how you are storing your photos.

If you are using iCloud Photos, then don't turn on the option in Settings->Account(top of settings)->iCloud->Photos not he new iPhone.

If you aren't using iCloud Photos and you restore a backup from the old iPhone to the new one, then there is no way to prevent this. The Photos are part of the backup and will be restored along side the other data in the backup.

You are free to delete them from the iPhone afterwards however, and they will not affect the photos on the old phone in that case.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.