Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red vertical lines on screen???

Hi I've just started having this problem, basicly i have thin red lines running vertically over the whole screen!

So when there is any black or dark highlights on an image all i see is the red lines, it is less obvious on light colours like white, but it still makes things kind of buzz.

Any ideas if this is a screen, graphics card problem and if its easy (cheap) to fix?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 1:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 10:04 AM

Most common cause for this issue is an inverter cable issue. And unfortunately the cable runs right under the hinge. So if your hinge is not properly reassembled after a repair or install, you can start to have issues such as this.
9 replies

Aug 12, 2010 6:15 AM in response to plewsy

That is a display failure. Odds are sooner or later that red line will invite a bunch of his multi-colored friends over to have a party. You will need to have the entire display assembly replaced, so I hope you have warranty coverage. If not, the cost will likely depend on the size of the display. A 13" will likely cost $300 (for just the part) and it will go up from there.

Oct 31, 2010 5:03 PM in response to CMCSK

CMCSK wrote:
i m having the same issue!

Why not try the solutions & links mentioned in this thread?

I DID check them and they don't apply to my case... i have an ATI Card (older a1211 model)

mine doesn't change when i move the screen, only black color things (anywhere on the screen) turns into red vertical lines and if a use an external monitor it woks fine.

I think i am gonna have to change the LCD, but maybe is the cable (data or inversor) i really don't know how to tell which part is not working.

Message was edited by: leonedos

Red vertical lines on screen???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.