Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G4 not booting

Hello, any help with this appreciated: I have an old Mac G4 tower (I don’t know the exact spec as it won’t boot, but it’s a dual-boot “mirror-door” model) - it sits in a corner of my studio and gets used a couple of times a year to access a couple of legacy programs which will only run in OS9. It has 2 hard drives (possibly 3) and has OS9 and OSX (I think it’s 10.5) installed. It refuses to boot (stuck on grey Apple screen, not the flashing question mark). The non-booting coincided with an obstinate disk getting stuck in the optical drive; all the usual methods failed and I think I probably damaged the drive using the paper-clip method to get it out - it made a lot of protesting noise). I have removed the optical drive altogether and don’t really need to replace it (does the G4 need to see an optical drive to boot properly?). I have tried it in target mode, with a Firewire cable connected to my present iMac, and also to a MacBook Pro, but the drives don’t show. Strangely enough, although they don’t show, when the Firewire cable is removed, a message flashes up “160GB Hitachi not ejected properly”. I have ordered a new 3.6V battery, as the one installed was absolutely dead, no voltage whatsoever, but reading up on this the general opinion is that this doesn’t actually achieve much. Could anyone advise on further diagnostic procedures please.

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2022 12:19 PM

lesparapluies wrote:

Hello, any help with this appreciated: I have an old Mac G4 tower (I don’t know the exact spec as it won’t boot, but it’s a dual-boot “mirror-door” model) - it sits in a corner of my studio and gets used a couple of times a year to access a couple of legacy programs which will only run in OS9. It has 2 hard drives (possibly 3) and has OS9 and OSX (I think it’s 10.5) installed. It refuses to boot (stuck on grey Apple screen, not the flashing question mark). The non-booting coincided with an obstinate disk getting stuck in the optical drive; all the usual methods failed and I think I probably damaged the drive using the paper-clip method to get it out - it made a lot of protesting noise). I have removed the optical drive altogether and don’t really need to replace it (does the G4 need to see an optical drive to boot properly?). I have tried it in target mode, with a Firewire cable connected to my present iMac, and also to a MacBook Pro, but the drives don’t show. Strangely enough, although they don’t show, when the Firewire cable is removed, a message flashes up “160GB Hitachi not ejected properly”. I have ordered a new 3.6V battery, as the one installed was absolutely dead, no voltage whatsoever, but reading up on this the general opinion is that this doesn’t actually achieve much. Could anyone advise on further diagnostic procedures please.

A new battery should help, but sounds like you may have something else going on with one of the hard drives. Can you boot while holding the option key to see the available bootable drives?

When I had a G4, the optical drive and the original OS media that came with the machine was my one fail-safe method of booting when all else failed. That was my control-group boot method. If I could not boot that, then I knew I had some other hardware issue, like the battery, or maybe even the power supply itself.

Do you have the Finder preferences set to show the hard drives on the desktop of the other Macs when you mounted it via FW target mode? It might have mounted, but you need to browse the Finder window to see it, if not shown on the Desktop. Check your Finder prefs.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2022 12:19 PM in response to lesparapluies

lesparapluies wrote:

A new battery should help, but sounds like you may have something else going on with one of the hard drives. Can you boot while holding the option key to see the available bootable drives?

When I had a G4, the optical drive and the original OS media that came with the machine was my one fail-safe method of booting when all else failed. That was my control-group boot method. If I could not boot that, then I knew I had some other hardware issue, like the battery, or maybe even the power supply itself.

Do you have the Finder preferences set to show the hard drives on the desktop of the other Macs when you mounted it via FW target mode? It might have mounted, but you need to browse the Finder window to see it, if not shown on the Desktop. Check your Finder prefs.

Sep 3, 2022 3:10 AM in response to Glen Doggett

Hello, thanks for your reply. I should have updated this post more quickly. I ordered the 3.6V battery but as I suspected, it made no difference. I did the booting with the option key, which showed two possible boots (should have been 3). I booted into OS9 first and then went to Start Up Disk preferences, and strangely enough the third one (OSX) was now showing, which I knew to be reliable, so managed to boot into Leopard. Then did some diagnostics on all the HDs, which showed that one of them was very sick indeed - even trying to access it in Target Mode made the host machine crash! Fortunately I don't think I've lost any data which wasn't on other disks. Thank you again for your reply, best regards, Mark.

G4 not booting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.