Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor is not detected when I close my laptop. How can I prevent this?

My external monitor is not detected if I close my laptop.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 5:49 PM

If you use an external keyboard and mouse with your Mac notebook, you can close the built-in display after you connect your external display. You might have to press a key or click your mouse to wake the external display. To use your Mac with the display closed, you need to connect your power adapter or connect an external display that also charges your Mac, such as the Apple Studio Display or 23.7-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display.

If your external display doesn't turn on after you connect it to your Mac, connect your display while your Mac is off, then wake or turn on your Mac.

Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2022 5:49 PM in response to macisterrible

If you use an external keyboard and mouse with your Mac notebook, you can close the built-in display after you connect your external display. You might have to press a key or click your mouse to wake the external display. To use your Mac with the display closed, you need to connect your power adapter or connect an external display that also charges your Mac, such as the Apple Studio Display or 23.7-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display.

If your external display doesn't turn on after you connect it to your Mac, connect your display while your Mac is off, then wake or turn on your Mac.

Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

External monitor is not detected when I close my laptop. How can I prevent this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.