Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac making knocking noise when in sleep mode

Is anyone else having the issue of 24" Imac making a knocking noise and the mouse indicator visible on the screen when in sleep mode? The screen wakes up when the mouse is moved, and the noise stops. Is it a problem? It does not seem right.

iMac 24″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 4:01 PM

My dad had this as well a few days ago. My hunch was that it must have to do something with the power nap function. So that the computer awakes when asleep to do something important. I did investigate the computer further after this, and I found nothing strange or out of place

my dad received a notification at the time the issue happened. So maybe thats a clue, but I still havent figured it out completely. I will keep on researching the issue (because I find it interesting, I was an IT-Professional once)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2022 4:01 PM in response to willfromgeorgetown

My dad had this as well a few days ago. My hunch was that it must have to do something with the power nap function. So that the computer awakes when asleep to do something important. I did investigate the computer further after this, and I found nothing strange or out of place

my dad received a notification at the time the issue happened. So maybe thats a clue, but I still havent figured it out completely. I will keep on researching the issue (because I find it interesting, I was an IT-Professional once)

iMac making knocking noise when in sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.