Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

may I use my external back up drive from my previous Mac to back up my new Mac without losing old "back-ups"?

may I use my external back up drive from my previous Mac to back up my new Mac without losing old "back-ups"?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Aug 18, 2022 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 7:39 AM

If you backup your new Mac, you'll have every thing on the Mac. If you're worried about history, its importance to you will determine what you do.

HDDs are cheap and reliable. If you wish to sequester the historical data, get a new HDD and start afresh keeping the old drive in a safe place. How often you've used historical data should help determine its usefulness.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2022 7:39 AM in response to ritchard27

If you backup your new Mac, you'll have every thing on the Mac. If you're worried about history, its importance to you will determine what you do.

HDDs are cheap and reliable. If you wish to sequester the historical data, get a new HDD and start afresh keeping the old drive in a safe place. How often you've used historical data should help determine its usefulness.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.