Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Catalina 10.15.7 vulnerable to the latest security issues (19 / 08 /2022) ? Thank you

Is Catalina 10.15.7 vulnerable to the latest security issues (19 / 08 /2022) ? Thank you

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 4:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 7:47 AM

I called Apple and they said that the security hole was only for Monterey and that they will continue to issue security updates for Big Sur and Catalina. They said that the Safari Webkit they updated addressed the issue. So if this is the full story, it sounds like these older OS's are okay to continue using.

5 replies

Aug 19, 2022 5:31 AM in response to Constantine 154

I also am wondering about this also with Big Sur. They issued a Safari update that addressed some Webkit issue, but I don't know if this will resolve the whole security vulnerability.

Looks like this was the recent update to Safari, done 8/18/22 to Webkit---- does this resolve the issue?

Some are saying that if they didn't fix it, it would not be safe to continue using. Hopefully someone who knows more about this can chime in soon!

Security Update:

Safari 15.6.1

Released August 18, 2022

WebKit

Available for: macOS Big Sur and macOS Catalina

Impact: Processing maliciously crafted web

content may lead to arbitrary code execution. Apple is aware of a

report that this issue may have been actively exploited.

Description: An out-of-bounds write issue was addressed with improved bounds checking.

WebKit Bugzilla: 243557

CVE-2022-32893: an anonymous researcher

About the security content of Safari 15.6.1 - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.