Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

draft email - virus possible

I have a bogus draft email (obviously spam) that keeps popping up on my macbook air screen. I can't close it, only can minimize it. The email isn't in any of my draft email boxes...or anywhere else for that matter (for me to delete, etc.). It opens several times an hour, which then also causes my mac screen. to flash from left to right intermittently. I have done dozens of virus scans, all come back clean. Can anyone help?

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 3:42 PM

feistx3 wrote:
I have done dozens of virus scans, all come back clean. Can anyone help?

what app are you using to do these virus scans? I ask because antivirus apps are neither needed nor recommended with macOS. there are NO viruses that affect your Mac. none. you should uninstall the antivirus app using the developer's instructions.

there can be malware, which requires action on your part to install. usually unknowingly. to deal with possible malware, the only such app that is recommended to deal with it is malwarebytes for Mac. you can use the free version to check for malware. when done, you can uninstall it with the directions in uninstall malwarebytes for Mac. or you can leave it installed, but only run it if you feel you've picked up more malware.

and if you would like to see how to keep your Mac safe, you may want to read Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community. it's a long article, but it's worth your time to read the whole thing.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2022 3:42 PM in response to feistx3

feistx3 wrote:
I have done dozens of virus scans, all come back clean. Can anyone help?

what app are you using to do these virus scans? I ask because antivirus apps are neither needed nor recommended with macOS. there are NO viruses that affect your Mac. none. you should uninstall the antivirus app using the developer's instructions.

there can be malware, which requires action on your part to install. usually unknowingly. to deal with possible malware, the only such app that is recommended to deal with it is malwarebytes for Mac. you can use the free version to check for malware. when done, you can uninstall it with the directions in uninstall malwarebytes for Mac. or you can leave it installed, but only run it if you feel you've picked up more malware.

and if you would like to see how to keep your Mac safe, you may want to read Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community. it's a long article, but it's worth your time to read the whole thing.

draft email - virus possible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.