Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

retaining files / data on new iMac

If I purchase a refurbished 2019 iMac with Big Sur OS, how can I migrate all files created using Office 2011 for Mac on older iMac (El Capitan)? I want to retain thousands of PowerPoint, Word, XL documents. Cannot find this question on the Community Forum.

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 4:30 PM

All the data is 100% transportable. Meaning all MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc. However you will need to buy a more up-to-date version of Office for Mac as Office for Mac 2011 was a 32 bit app and current OS's only run 64 bit apps. When I transportable that means NOTHING needs to be done to them, simply load the current version of Office for Mac, double click a legacy file and it opens and is fully editable.

Also, if you are buying a refurbished Mac please ONLY buy it directly from Apple or from a reputable reseller such as www.macsales.com. DO NOT ever buy a refurbished Mac from any other source.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2022 4:30 PM in response to BillGray16

All the data is 100% transportable. Meaning all MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc. However you will need to buy a more up-to-date version of Office for Mac as Office for Mac 2011 was a 32 bit app and current OS's only run 64 bit apps. When I transportable that means NOTHING needs to be done to them, simply load the current version of Office for Mac, double click a legacy file and it opens and is fully editable.

Also, if you are buying a refurbished Mac please ONLY buy it directly from Apple or from a reputable reseller such as www.macsales.com. DO NOT ever buy a refurbished Mac from any other source.

Aug 19, 2022 6:13 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I forgot this: we've purchased refurbished macs from apple.com for years + Apple Care. They helped me migrate files/data from my PowerBook G4 (still works) to my current iMac with El Capitan OS 10.11.6.

So, your wise advice is spot on.

Here's another issue that NO one could solve:

My wife bought iPhone 7s.

I set up my 3 email accounts on it.

Immediately, 65,000 spam emails came out of nowhere.

Apple Care could not help me delete them "in bulk" because this feature was removed from iPhone 7s.

I removed my 3 email addresses from my wife's iPhone – problem solved. Now, I only use it to make occasional phone calls.

retaining files / data on new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.