Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software update

why is my Macbook Pro stuck on "checking for updates"? It has been this way for hours.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2022 9:24 PM

Dargue2017 Said:

"Software update: why is my Macbook Pro stuck on 'checking for updates'? It has been this way for hours."

-------

If Updates are Stalled:

• Overwhelmed Server:

Apple may have overwhelmed servers at this moment. So, try later on. Also, the ISP may have issues with providing services: There is only so much that brand can handle.

• View Force Quit...:

Force Quit... is found in the Apple menu. So, click on it, and see if something ands with “(Not Responding)”. If such is the case, then that would be getting in the way here. So, select it, and then click Force Quit... button. I would Force Quit all applications and then see if Migration Assistant continues through.

• Relaunch Finder:

Also, be sure to relaunch Finder, by selecting it in Force Quit... and then clicking the Relaunch button. It would sync items on the Desktop, revealing what should be shown, and ridding of what has already removed from it.

• Tray Another User:

Stop the update, and then create and use a new Administrator, and see if you can perform the update.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2022 9:24 PM in response to Dargue2017

Dargue2017 Said:

"Software update: why is my Macbook Pro stuck on 'checking for updates'? It has been this way for hours."

-------

If Updates are Stalled:

• Overwhelmed Server:

Apple may have overwhelmed servers at this moment. So, try later on. Also, the ISP may have issues with providing services: There is only so much that brand can handle.

• View Force Quit...:

Force Quit... is found in the Apple menu. So, click on it, and see if something ands with “(Not Responding)”. If such is the case, then that would be getting in the way here. So, select it, and then click Force Quit... button. I would Force Quit all applications and then see if Migration Assistant continues through.

• Relaunch Finder:

Also, be sure to relaunch Finder, by selecting it in Force Quit... and then clicking the Relaunch button. It would sync items on the Desktop, revealing what should be shown, and ridding of what has already removed from it.

• Tray Another User:

Stop the update, and then create and use a new Administrator, and see if you can perform the update.

Software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.