Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening Unix Executable files on Mac

I'm trying to open some old (2012-15) Unix executable files (photos) and I tried Text Edit>Open - and it doesn't work ... Any ideas or help for me? Thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 1:52 PM

Howdy,

It sounds like your Mac doesn't know those files are actually pictures so just thinks they are code.

First make sure the Finder is set to show all filename extensions:

Finder > Preferences… > Advanced > Show all filename extensions

Those files probably don't have extensions which is one way the Mac knows what they are.

If you remember the file type, try adding the correct extension, like .jpg for jpeg, or .png, .tiff etc. and see if they open correctly.

ivan

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2022 1:52 PM in response to isabellt

Howdy,

It sounds like your Mac doesn't know those files are actually pictures so just thinks they are code.

First make sure the Finder is set to show all filename extensions:

Finder > Preferences… > Advanced > Show all filename extensions

Those files probably don't have extensions which is one way the Mac knows what they are.

If you remember the file type, try adding the correct extension, like .jpg for jpeg, or .png, .tiff etc. and see if they open correctly.

ivan

Aug 21, 2022 3:02 PM in response to isabellt

Glad the rename works for you. Good job.

For the mouse battery level…

If you [ √ ] Show Bluetooth in menu bar (System Preferences > Bluetooth)

Then you can click on the Bluetooth menu item and select the mouse to see the battery level.

Just a quick click-hold and move.

Of course there are apps available in the App Store, like Magic Battery Mini which I haven't tried but you might like ($0.99 !).

ivan

Aug 25, 2022 4:10 PM in response to isabellt

Howdy,

I hope everything settles down okay.

I sleep my computers if I'm not going to use them for a bit, like lunch, but shut them down if not going to use them in a while, like overnight. I don't know why Bluetooth would make your computer not want to wake up properly unless the battery was dead.

I don't have a brand preference for USB mice but have a collection of Apple mice so it hasn't been a problem. If I didn't I'd visit our local Goodwill Computer Store to get one on the cheap.

For moving files between folders the main tricks are how you select the files to move (or copy).

See Select items on your Mac screen

for hints like Command-Click and Shift-Click to select multiple items. If viewing as icons (like on the Desktop) you can drag a selection box around the items.

Pixelmator Pro has a Photos extension that allows you to edit the images directly from Photos.

See Use the Pixelmator Pro Photos extension

Edit, I guess you were asking about opening Photos images from Pixelmator not the other way around.

Yes you can. Pixelmator Pro opens with this screen which allows me to create a new image, open one from Photos or the Finder, or open a recent image.

And the File menu offers "New from Photos…"

Note it is easier for others to find answers on Apple Support Communities if each question/answer is separate and not buried in a long multipart thread.

Happy to help! Take care.

ivan

Aug 20, 2022 2:30 PM in response to ivan54

Hi Ivan, Thanks so much for your reply. After I submitted my question, I went to the file(s) with Finder, right-clicked once on the file, which brought up the picture (yes, just as you were saying - they are pictures) without opening it - and I "copied the image" with Finder, then created a jeg in my faux PhotoShop app Acorn! I just pasted the copy into a new doc - and resized the image, etc., and it's perfect! I haven't tried changing the extension with finder - but it's worth a try! Again, thank you so much for the reply! These are old pictures from one of my sisters' celebration of life that one of her daughters put together - a scrapbook of pictures from her whole life ... very important to me ... and I had never heard of Unix executable files! It's all good!

Aug 20, 2022 3:50 PM in response to isabellt

Thanks for the update. Give the file rename a try. It may be much easier :-).

I've never tried Acorn. Pixelmator Pro is now my photo editor of choice. Really enjoying it.

And yeah, if the Mac doesn't know what kind of file it is, it just sees a bunch of 1's and 0's so defaults to "Unix executable", i.e, code.

Take care,

ivan

Aug 21, 2022 10:11 AM in response to ivan54

Hi Ivan, It DOES work to just change the extension .... even though it took me a minute or two to figure out how to "change" the extension .... I finally clicked on the file so I could "rename" (when it turns light blue) and just added .jpg. Then double-clicked and it opened right up. Thank you! Another pair of eyes - a different perspective - really helps!

Now - I have another question that maybe you can answer ... I bought an Apple "Magic Mouse" a year or so ago because my cheapo Logitech was acting up a bit ... and now the Apple mouse drives me crazy because I don't know how much battery I have without going to system preferences, clicking on Mouse, and waiting for the level to come up. OR, it just dies on me, then I can't do anything until I charge it for a few hours, and you can't use while it's charging as you can with an iPhone or iPad ... so annoying. Do you know of anyway to see what the energy level is without going to system preferences? It would be great if there were an icon on the dock to click on ... or something like that ... Maybe it should be called a Mickey Mouse .... (Should I have started a different topic?)

Thanks again, Ivan!

Aug 25, 2022 9:54 AM in response to ivan54

Sorry I "dropped out" for a few days ... my life is crazy ... apt complex has just sold, construction on unit next to my bedroom - and I work nights ... do a lot of editing and writing, working on a sculpture to install 9/10 ... argh.

OK - so leave bluetooth on ... Do you log out, sleep, or shut down when you're not actively working on your mac? I have been logging out lately, on the advice of another mac-nic, but yesterday, I was running late, so put my mini on sleep - about 2 p.m. - and didn't wake it up until 9:30 a.m this morning. It was very weird, didn't want to wake up (neither did I !), a white segmented bar showed up on black screen (with the Apple) - and when it finally came up, my mouse wouldn't work ... I had a class at 10 a.m., so I charged it for a few minutes, and then things worked again - mouse showing 47% battery level. Would bluetooth being on have anything to do with that?

Any particular brand mouse you recommend for a backup? I've used Logitech - works well usually.

ONE MORE THING (thank you for your patience - AND KNOWLEDGE!!) - any tricks for moving files (of any kind) from one place to another, one folder to another, on our wonderful Mac Apples? And can you open a photo in your Photos Library from Pixelmator Pro ... ? Like File>Open>photos>xxx.jpeg? That's TWO THINGS

Thank you, Ivan!!

Opening Unix Executable files on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.