Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I load a CD into the drive, ITunes will not add it, although I told it to

Trying to get ITunes to import a music CD. Even though ITunes is set to "Ask to import when loading a CD" in sttings, it won't.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 2:34 PM

See Import songs from CDs into iTunes on PC - Apple Support. Can you import the CD manually despite the prompt not occuring? You might try changing that setting to something different, apply the change, then restore your preferred option and see if it now works.

tt2

8 replies

Aug 20, 2022 3:17 PM in response to turingtest2

No change after reboot. I can play the songs on the CD by right-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer, chosing "Open with ITunes". But ITunes does not show a symbol for a CD in the left upper corner as postulated in Import songs from CDs into iTunes on PC - Apple Support.

Upon diagnosis of the CD drive by iTunes, I'm told (in German,, I translate)

Optical drive

yellow dot + "data or MP3 CD found";

green dot + "successfully accessed audio CD"

yellow dot + "reading audio CD failed"

Aug 20, 2022 4:38 PM in response to AFrazzledUser

Yes, you should be able to copy the files over just as they are. That said I think Windows will copy from CD as read only files. You might want to copy them to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder when iTunes is closed, select the files, right-click and click Properties, clear the Read Only attribute, click OK, then launch iTunes to add the content to your library. Otherwise you might not be able to edit of the metadata associated with the files.

tt2

Aug 20, 2022 4:43 PM in response to turingtest2

In fact, I was able to edit the properties after simply adding the folder to my "mediathek" (German expression; same in English?). But the import was less then perfect. One file was doubled, another two not added properly. When I deleted them and copied them again from CD, I did not understand how to get iTunes to update. I'm quite the noob.

Aug 20, 2022 6:41 PM in response to AFrazzledUser

iTunes doesn't monitor the contents of the media folder. If you add or remove items in Windows Explorer you may still need to update the library in iTunes. Occasionally Tunes will silently reject content you try to add to the library. Using the Automatically Add to iTunes folder helps with this as problem items are moved to a Not Added folder. It won't tell you what the problem is, but at least you know for sure that iTunes considered the file and rejected it. iTunes won't automatically eliminate duplicates and depending on where files are when you add to the library and the option to copy files to the media folder may quite easily create them should you ask it to.

tt2

When I load a CD into the drive, ITunes will not add it, although I told it to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.