Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replace Aperture software

Finally need to bite the bullet on replacing Aperture since I am using a new camera that is not supported. What is the current recommendation. I loved Aperture and its ability to clone without having to go to Photoshop.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 20, 2022 4:29 PM

4 replies

Aug 21, 2022 6:37 AM in response to Yer_Man

I really hate to get into something you have to pay for annually. I would not change anything except with a new camera aperture does not recognize it. I was wondering if I could load the images into something simple and convert them all into tiffs and then load only the ones I want to manipulate and save back into aperture as a tiff. Do you think that might work OK? I have several Mac computers and also a decent PC. I am shooting everything in RAW.

Aug 21, 2022 8:50 AM in response to WoofGracie

Not all of the apps I named use a subscription model, some offer a choice between subscription and once-off licensing.

You could process your Raws in Adobe's ACR, which is, I believe, free. I'm sure your camera maker offers some form or Raw decoder as well. However... Aperture is dead. There is only one certainty now: the next Mac you buy won't run it. You will be changing software to manage your images. It's much easier to do that when Aperture is still running than when you can't access it. Sticking with Aperture is not a solution.

Aug 20, 2022 11:37 PM in response to WoofGracie

Lightroom Classic is the most obvious destination. There is an upgrade path.

Other possibilities include: CaptureOne, On1 Photo Raw, Exposure X7, Mylio, Darktable, DxO PhotoLab. There are others. It all depends on your budget, volume of shots, are you shooting Raw or Jpegs etc.

It's difficult to suggest a more complete discussion. This was heavily discussed 7 years ago, but the comparisons between Aperture and these apps is way out of date now, as these all have 7 years more development than the did then.

Aug 21, 2022 9:09 AM in response to Yer_Man

My new little mirrorless cameras are Nikons so, like you said, I think I can do the initial processing in the Nikon NX Studio, export as tiffs and then import into Aperture. I think my next task will be to slowly start moving all my images out of Aperture and set up external file folders. Once empty, I would only use Aperture for current image editing and manipulating, which will then be exported for storage. It is kind of a pain but I really love Aperture. I know that once I get safe with it being empty, I can then think about other software to learn. I need to ween myself off of it, feel safe about my images, and then see what is out there. I know I may be blown away with the new AI and masking features that I have been seeing. By the time I get to this, I can't imagine what will be available. Maybe I can just tell it what to do...lol. I am sure that is coming with AI. Thanks for your thoughts.

Replace Aperture software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.