Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your computer was restarted becasue of a problem", but what's the problem and how to fix it

My 2017 27'' iMac often reboots unexpectedly. I have reinstalled the OS and kept my Apps in the latest version, but it won't help. I also ran the diagnostic test, it said no issue was found.

I contacted apple support several times, but can't find the root cause either. Is there anyone who has a similar issue and how to fix it? Thanks.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 8:37 AM

Welcome! That is a kernel panic and can happen for a number of causes, both hardware and software. The most common cause is incorrrect or cheap RAM. Have you added RAM to your computer since purchasing it?

See: If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Even if the RAM is fully compatible, the modules may not be seated properly. Full seating requires a rather strong push.

Most long-serving contributors here recommend either Crucial or Other World Computing RAM. Many of the other brands push a "value line" product that fails to meet the Mac's strict requiment and that makes kernel panics. My 2017 iMac 5K has the two modules Apple installed at the factory, plus two that I bought from OWC. It has never panicked

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2022 8:37 AM in response to Rocky Xiao

Welcome! That is a kernel panic and can happen for a number of causes, both hardware and software. The most common cause is incorrrect or cheap RAM. Have you added RAM to your computer since purchasing it?

See: If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Even if the RAM is fully compatible, the modules may not be seated properly. Full seating requires a rather strong push.

Most long-serving contributors here recommend either Crucial or Other World Computing RAM. Many of the other brands push a "value line" product that fails to meet the Mac's strict requiment and that makes kernel panics. My 2017 iMac 5K has the two modules Apple installed at the factory, plus two that I bought from OWC. It has never panicked

"Your computer was restarted becasue of a problem", but what's the problem and how to fix it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.