Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Something has burnt here, anybody knows which part is it?

Hello there,

Firstly, when I turned on my MacBook Pro 2017 it entered to critical software update loop, which is mainly about Touch Bar for these models. After attempting many ways it somehow opened and everything seemed OK.

Then I saw this and when I touched it, my Macbook shut downed suddenly. It is smelling cable burn.

Does anyone know which part is this?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 10:47 AM

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

We want to make sure you reach the right team for help with your device. We recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Get Support.

4 replies

Aug 23, 2022 7:05 AM in response to eyup_acar

eyup_acar wrote:

Hello there,

Firstly, when I turned on my MacBook Pro 2017 it entered to critical software update loop, which is mainly about Touch Bar for these models. After attempting many ways it somehow opened and everything seemed OK.

Then I saw this and when I touched it, my Macbook shut downed suddenly. It is smelling cable burn.

Does anyone know which part is this?

Thanks in advance.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/92ccca61-7425-48f1-a6fb-6e2db26131d2

if in doubt take it in for a hardware issue—

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Find Locations - Apple

Aug 23, 2022 6:56 AM in response to eyup_acar

It heat has damaged the Mac, and something is actually burned, only an Apple Genius will be able to tell you definitively what component was damaged. But since the fix will likely be to replace the entire logic board, I'd guess no test will be done to determine exactly which individual component failed.

You can open the Mac, but that may create warranty issues and likely won't tell you anything specific.

Aug 23, 2022 7:22 AM in response to eyup_acar

Hey guys, thank you for replies.

After I have talked two different Apple Customer Service, they said that it must be the flex cable and the whole screen should be replaced.

I searched the issue and found that the problem was a design issue of MacBook Pro 2016/2017s. The flexgate wires get broken after couple of years with daily use. Here in my MacBook Pro the wire got cut and fused while opening and closing the screen. That fuse has caused this burn here.

Now camera is not working and it seems I will have also some problems with the screen soon.

Here is the video from iFixit defining the issue.

Thanks Apple, what a disappointment.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Something has burnt here, anybody knows which part is it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.