Related Article: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot import photos from my iPhone 11 to my MacBook Pro 2022.

I have a new M1 MacBook Pro and and iPhone 11. I cannot import photos through the USB cable, nor can I select all "new photos" on my iphone to import through AirDrop. This should be a simple operation yet the only way it works for me is to individually select new photos to air drop. It is stupid and frustrating.

When I use the USB connection, I get the message "Preparing to import ..." which never goes away. $5000 worth of hardware and I can't do the simplest connection!

Please help if you can. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 1:56 PM

6 replies

Aug 26, 2022 6:04 AM in response to K_Faith

I'm having the same issue. For more detail, when my iphone is connected to MacBook Air via USB, Photos opens on the macbook and I verify access to my iphone. Then the screen automatically moves to a blank screen that just has the message of Preparing to import from "CH iPhone" and sits on that screen without the ability to do anything on that import screen. Essentially you are left waiting for something to happen but nothing does happen. There is no ability to click or select anything as you mentioned in the above instructions.

Aug 24, 2022 12:48 PM in response to timshome228

Hello timshome228,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with importing photos from your iPhone to your Mac. What happens when you try to import them via USB cable? Do you get an error message? If so, what does it say exactly?

Do the steps here help resolve the issue: Import photos from a camera or phone using Photos on Mac

"Import photos from a camera, iPhone, or iPad

1. Connect a camera, iPhone, or iPad to your computer.
  2. Make sure the camera or device is turned on and the camera is set to the correct mode for importing photos.
  3. For information on which mode to choose, see the instructions provided with your camera. If your camera has a “sleep” mode, make sure it’s disabled or set to a time span long enough to allow your images to download.
  4. Open Photos (if it isn’t already open), then click the device under Devices in the sidebar.
  5. Note: Devices appears in the sidebar only when a camera or storage device is connected.
  6. Photos on the device that you’ve already imported are shown at the top of the pane; new photos are at the bottom. At the top center is the “Import to” pop-up menu. The Import All New Items button is at the top right.
  7. Photos displays all the photos and videos on the device. 
  8. Tip: If you want Photos to open whenever you connect this device, select the Open Photos checkbox.
  9. If you want to delete photos from the camera after importing them, select the “Delete items” checkbox. 
  10. This option does not appear for all cameras.
  11. To set where to import the photos, do one of the following:
    • Import into an existing album: Click the “Import to” pop-up menu, then choose the album you want from the list.
    • Import into a new album: Click the “Import to” pop-up menu, choose New Album, enter an album name, then click OK.
    • Import into the Photos library without specifying an album: Click the “Import to” pop-up menu, then choose Library.

1. Do one of the following:
    • Import all new photos: Click Import All New Items.
    • Import a selection of photos: Click the photos you want to import, then click Import Selected.
  1. If a message asks whether you want to delete or keep the photos on your camera after they’re imported, click Delete Items to remove the photos, or click Keep Items to keep them on the camera.
  2. Photos imports your photos. To cancel importing, click Stop Import.
  3. When all photos have been imported, disconnect the camera or device from your computer. 

If you didn’t import the photos into an album, they appear in the Imports album in the sidebar. They also appear among the other days and months in your Photos library; to browse them, click Library in the sidebar. To organize imported photos into albums, select photos in the Imports album and drag them into albums in the sidebar.

If you have photos taken with a film camera, you can import them into Photos by converting them to digital files (using the Image Capture app and a home scanner). With Continuity Camera, you can take a picture or scan a form or document using your nearby iPhone or iPad and have the photo or scan appear instantly on your Mac. See Insert photos and scans with Continuity Camera. You can also use the Image Capture app to set Photos to open automatically whenever you connect your camera. See Scan images in Image Capture and Transfer images in Image Capture."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Cannot import photos from my iPhone 11 to my MacBook Pro 2022.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.