Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SDErrorDomain error 108 on M1 Mac Mini

I have a M1 Mac Mini with an internal Apple SSD and an external non-Apple SSD in a Hagibis USB-C hub with dual drive enclosure. I was successfully running MacOS 12.2.1 off the external SSD. But when I tried to update to 12.5.1 the installer seems to finish normally but I cannot boot from the external SSD. The error message I get is shown in the title for this post. About a year ago members of this community were having a similar problem but the solution was to enable starting from and external drive in Startup Security settings. Unfortunately, that option seems to have disappeared in 12.5.1. It seems the installer has a full clean installation of 12.5.1 but the Mac won't allow me to boot from the external SSD as before. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this problem?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 2:32 PM

Hello GeneLand,

Thanks for choosing the Apple Support Communities. Let's try following these steps to use your external drive as your startup disk.

Change your Mac startup disk - Apple Support

"Change your startup disk for every startup

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Startup Disk .
  2. If the lock at the bottom left is locked , click it to unlock the preference pane.
  3. Click the icon of the disk you want to use, then click Restart.

WARNING: When selecting a network startup volume, make sure you select a network startup volume and not a network install image. Choosing a network install image reinstalls your system software and may erase the contents of your disk. A standard network volume icon appears as a globe with a folder. A network install icon appears as a globe with a downward-pointing green arrow."

If you are seeing errors you might consider checking the disk for errors in Disk Utility.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

Also, after backing up any personal files, you could consider formatting the disk and reinstalling macOS on it.

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2022 2:32 PM in response to GeneLand

Hello GeneLand,

Thanks for choosing the Apple Support Communities. Let's try following these steps to use your external drive as your startup disk.

Change your Mac startup disk - Apple Support

"Change your startup disk for every startup

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Startup Disk .
  2. If the lock at the bottom left is locked , click it to unlock the preference pane.
  3. Click the icon of the disk you want to use, then click Restart.

WARNING: When selecting a network startup volume, make sure you select a network startup volume and not a network install image. Choosing a network install image reinstalls your system software and may erase the contents of your disk. A standard network volume icon appears as a globe with a folder. A network install icon appears as a globe with a downward-pointing green arrow."

If you are seeing errors you might consider checking the disk for errors in Disk Utility.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

Also, after backing up any personal files, you could consider formatting the disk and reinstalling macOS on it.

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Aug 26, 2022 8:24 PM in response to GeneLand

I finally got it to work! The problem was related to my target disk being in a Hagabis hub. I removed the target ssd from the Hagabis hub and installed it in a new Sabrent USB-C tool-free enclosure for M.2 PCIe NVMe and SATA SSDs. I then connected the enclosure directly to the M1 Mac Mini via one of the USB-C ports. I then booted into Recovery mode and used Disk Utility to erase and format the target SSD. Then I plugged in my USB-A Monterey installer and booted into that device to install Monterey on the target SSD. I was then able to follow up with Migration Assistant and get all of my data back on my target external SSD running MacOS 12.5.1. I hope this may help others who have had problems with installing Monterey on external SSDs.

Aug 25, 2022 6:23 AM in response to GeneLand

That error is generally an indication that there is not an authorized "owner" of the drive.

One solution you can try, back up the drive with either Time Machine or a cloning system that can clone the macOS data volume, i.e. it does not need to be bootable and may actually be preferred not to be. Then download and create a bootable installer of the current macOS version. Next, having backed up the drive, erase the target drive and reinstall macOS making sure you have your backup drive installed. When prompted to create an owner for the installation, create a new and unique user that is different from any on the internal drive and different than what was used in the backup. Follow through the installation processes and when reaching the point where it asks if you want to migrate data, proceed with the migration option and continue with the the install with the "new user". Once complete, you will have two users. The new user and the user you you migrated and you can then log out of the new user and then log into your usual user.

There is an issue that can occur when installing or updating on an external drive that can sometimes invalidate the "owner" of the macOS installation if it is also the same "owner" as another macOS installation on the same system.. So, when the next update comes along, do that with "new" user you created and hopefully all will be well.

Hopefully Apple will sort to his issue in the future with M1 Macs.

Aug 25, 2022 5:01 PM in response to woodmeister50

Woodmeister: Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I wasn't able to get it to work for me. I first erased the target drive as you suggested by booting into recovery mode to access disk utility. I then restarted the Mac Mini from the bootable USB installer and installed Monterey 12.5.1 on the target drive; however, when it asked for a user on the target drive I was only presented with the options that were present on my internal SSD. There was not an option to create a new, unique user for the target drive. So I had to choose one of the users from my internal SSD and when the installer finished I got the same error message as before. I was hoping that your method would work but unfortunately it did not. Kindly let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Aug 27, 2022 5:43 AM in response to GeneLand

GeneLand wrote:
...The problem was related to my target disk being in a Hagabis hub. I removed the target ssd from the Hagabis hub and installed it in a new Sabrent USB-C tool-free enclosure for M.2 PCIe NVMe and SATA SSDs.....

That explains why it didn't work. It is become more commonly known that installing the later versions of macOS on a drive connected to a hub have a very poor success rate. My fault for not asking about the drive and how it was connected, otherwise I could have saved some frustration but it is good that you found the solution on your own.

SDErrorDomain error 108 on M1 Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.