Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Support for operating system Catalina.

My 21.5 iMac computer was manufactured in late 2013, and its operating system is Catalina. Because of its age it cannot be upgraded to the latest operating systems Big Sur or Monterey. My question is how long will Apple continue to support the security updates for the operating system Catalina. If not what other security updates can be installed on my computer.

Kind regards,

OldTonyMac

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 7:57 PM

I don't use any of those apps (aside from Malwarebytes), as I've always depended on Apple's security, so I can't give you an answer based on experience. Given the choice between trying an app and getting a new Mac, money-wise I suppose it would make sense to give an app a try and see how intrusive it is after doing the research to see what app might be worth trying. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2022 7:57 PM in response to OldTonyMac

I don't use any of those apps (aside from Malwarebytes), as I've always depended on Apple's security, so I can't give you an answer based on experience. Given the choice between trying an app and getting a new Mac, money-wise I suppose it would make sense to give an app a try and see how intrusive it is after doing the research to see what app might be worth trying. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Aug 24, 2022 7:17 AM in response to OldTonyMac

OldTonyMac wrote:

Hi tjk,

Thank you for the update about support for Catalina.
I always use Chrome when browsing.
When Apple stop supporting Catalina, some say possibly November this year.
Could I still safely use my iMac without Apple support so long as I have installed an antivirus ware to cover the security on my computer.

Regards,
OldTonyMac

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

AntiVirus Developers purposefully Market their product to create a “ Fear Factor “. In so doing, creating a False Need for their Product.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Aug 23, 2022 8:52 PM in response to OldTonyMac

Hi,

No one can say what Apple is going to do, but currently it only sends out security updates for the three most current OSes, Monterey, Big Sur and Catalina. If that trend continues, then when Ventura comes out, Catalina would be dropped.

There are no other "security updates" to install, but one thing which could help would be using a browser which is frequently updated, such as Firefox or Chrome, which is what many people using older OSes do, after Safari is no longer being updated.

Aug 23, 2022 9:06 PM in response to tjk

Hi tjk,

Thank you for the update about support for Catalina.

I always use Chrome when browsing.

When Apple stop supporting Catalina, some say possibly November this year.

Could I still safely use my iMac without Apple support so long as I have installed an antivirus ware to cover the security on my computer.

Regards,

OldTonyMac

Aug 24, 2022 4:54 PM in response to OldTonyMac

Based on years of reading posts here, a majority of experienced users here don't have much good to say about using malware apps, so I'm not going to recommend one (beyond Malwarebytes, see below). I have one older Mac which I still use periodically online, but I stick to trusted sites and don't open attachments unless I know what they are and the people who send them. I do not use malware apps apart from periodically running the free Malwarebytes (it takes less than 30 seconds and otherwise does not use up any system resources) and feel safe based on the browser's up-to-date security. I don't know if your situation requires more security than that.

Aug 24, 2022 7:42 PM in response to tjk

To tjk

I am running the free Malwarebytes, Apple installed it when I purchase of the computer in 2015.

My main concern is with regard to the security of my Catalina operating system.

As I stated before, because my computer was manufactured in late 2013 and I am unable to upgrade to the latest operating systems.

Apple should sometime this year stop supporting Catalina with security and other updates, possibly November 2022.

All I want to know is how secure is my computer using Catalina and should I install one of the antivirus wares from the App Store, like for example Trend Micro, or update to a new computer.

Old TonyMac

Security Support for operating system Catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.