Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Remote Desktop

Hi! I am hoping someone can help me with some advice about Apple Remote Desktop please.

My parents both have Macs, and although their computers are easy to use, they get into a pickle with them from time to time. They call on me for help, but I live 800 km away, and it's a bit of a nightmare trying to discuss each step over the phone.

I am looking for a product that will enable me to remotely access their computers, so that I can fix things when they go wrong. I need to see their desktops and be able to control them temporarily.

It seems that Apple Remote Desktop would enable me to do this, but only if we are on the same network. Is that correct? If Apple Remote Desktop isn't the right product, would you recommend any others that are safe and easy to use?

Posted on Aug 23, 2022 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 12:19 AM

yes remote desktop and vnc solutions only works on the same network,

one could setup a vpn server in one end and do it that way but setting up a vpn server is not

for most users

you can use the app called teamviewer and do it across the network using that

TeamViewer – The Remote Connectivity Software

I'm sure there are plenty of other apps than teamviewer which offer that functionlity

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2022 12:19 AM in response to Jeremy Shields

yes remote desktop and vnc solutions only works on the same network,

one could setup a vpn server in one end and do it that way but setting up a vpn server is not

for most users

you can use the app called teamviewer and do it across the network using that

TeamViewer – The Remote Connectivity Software

I'm sure there are plenty of other apps than teamviewer which offer that functionlity

Aug 29, 2022 4:29 AM in response to BobHarris

Hi there, Bob.

Thank you for this suggestion. If I could get that to work it would be amazing.

I have had a quick look at the Tailscale reference guide (https://tailscale.com/kb/1062/reviewer-guide/#can-non-technical-users-set-it-up) and it looks like it’s reasonably easy for even a non-technical user like me to set up. I think I’ll just need to make sure we have GMail or Office365 set up on my folks’ computers, which I will look into now.

Thank you again,

Jeremy.

Apple Remote Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.