Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Monterey & OneDrive issues

Does anyone have an issue with opening OneDrive documents across their Apple devices?

Either one of the two errors pop up when I attempt to open a file on my (2018) Macbook Pro’s OneDrive (my (2021) iMac’s OneDrive works fine when I do the same though). The error will either say “Couldn’t communicate with helper application” OR it will say “File x could not be opened. It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize”.

For me, I have checked the syncing, updating iMac and Macbook Pro to Monterey 12.5.1, uninstalling and reinstalling OneDrive, checking permissions, restarting my devices...and there is still the same issue.

I work on my laptop on the go, (sometimes I’ll have wifi and sometimes not) and when at home I work on my iMac. It is super inconvenient to go onto the web, log into OneDrive and search for and download x files onto my Macbook Pro just to access and work on a document. The point of having the OneDrive app on a desktop and laptop is so that it can sync together and be accessible on your devices when needed.

I have been encountering this issue the past few months. Hoping someone can help or offer solutions!

Thank you in advance!!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 25, 2022 8:04 AM in response to Mintytea

Mintytea wrote:

Does anyone have an issue with opening OneDrive documents across their Apple devices?

Either one of the two errors pop up when I attempt to open a file on my (2018) Macbook Pro’s OneDrive (my (2021) iMac’s OneDrive works fine when I do the same though). The error will either say “Couldn’t communicate with helper application” OR it will say “File x could not be opened. It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize”.

For me, I have checked the syncing, updating iMac and Macbook Pro to Monterey 12.5.1, uninstalling and reinstalling OneDrive, checking permissions, restarting my devices...and there is still the same issue.

I work on my laptop on the go, (sometimes I’ll have wifi and sometimes not) and when at home I work on my iMac. It is super inconvenient to go onto the web, log into OneDrive and search for and download x files onto my Macbook Pro just to access and work on a document. The point of having the OneDrive app on a desktop and laptop is so that it can sync together and be accessible on your devices when needed.

I have been encountering this issue the past few months. Hoping someone can help or offer solutions!
Thank you in advance!!

For you third party device—

if in doubt search the developers website or contact their: Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility/Updates

Microsoft Corporation/Customer service

1 (800) 642-7676

Microsoft support is very responsive and helpful.

https://support.microsoft.com

Ask the Microsoft Community

https://answers.microsoft.com/

OneDrive panic—

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/onedrive-cause-panic-on-mac/53111c30-8120-433d-b78b-14924ab1cb43

MacOS Monterey & OneDrive issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.