Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

every time i open a new tab, a new window homepage shows up

When I'm on safari and open a new tab, the homepage is keeps changing

iMac

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2022 1:11 PM

Ah- I gotcha. Unfortunately, it seems you have adware on your computer. (I like John Galt's tongue-in-cheek User Tip about this - How to install adware - Apple Community)

Search Marquis is a common one- it hijacks your browser to generate clicks and ad revenue. Luckily, it's not dangerous, and can be removed easily enough. The easiest way to fix it is to get the free version of Malwarebytes. It's a safe tool that helps remove malware from your computer, and the free version should suffice. You can get it here. Quit Safari, scan for malware, then quit it when complete. Hold Shift and open Safari, and you should be good.

If the problem persists, it may need to be done manually.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2022 1:11 PM in response to robles_5

Ah- I gotcha. Unfortunately, it seems you have adware on your computer. (I like John Galt's tongue-in-cheek User Tip about this - How to install adware - Apple Community)

Search Marquis is a common one- it hijacks your browser to generate clicks and ad revenue. Luckily, it's not dangerous, and can be removed easily enough. The easiest way to fix it is to get the free version of Malwarebytes. It's a safe tool that helps remove malware from your computer, and the free version should suffice. You can get it here. Quit Safari, scan for malware, then quit it when complete. Hold Shift and open Safari, and you should be good.

If the problem persists, it may need to be done manually.

every time i open a new tab, a new window homepage shows up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.