Lossless and/or Spatial Audio with Sonos

I'm wondering if Apple Music is working on extending support to the Sonos ecosystem for Lossless music playback. I know they wouldn't be capable of Hi-Res Lossless, but even the standard lossless would be great for me! Also, it'd be interesting to hear Dolby Atmos music with compatible Sonos soundbars.

I know Apple TV 4K supports Lossless and Dolby Atmos playback on Sonos, but it'd just be a more convenient experience to be able to stream it from my phone, for example. I know this question has been asked in the Sonos forums, but I didn't find much about it here.

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 6:37 AM

Exactly! We ask simple questions and no-one is answering straight forward. So let's go again: " Dear Apple, are you going to work with Sonos and give us Lossless audio? " A simple Yes or No will do.

Similar questions

13 replies

Nov 16, 2022 12:04 PM in response to Stephaj

Yes, please… specifically we should be able to use the Apple Music connection from the Sonos app to select music and send to our Sonos system. You can currently do that now, but not in lossless formats.

This is what keeps me from purchasing an Apple Music plan. I’m dedicated to Sonos at this point and not having lossless Apple Music is a deal breaker. I’ll just give my money to another service.

Thanks

Dec 8, 2022 12:49 PM in response to why123a

Based on my conversations with Sonos, this is not true. If I understand the Codec correctly, Apple Music Lossless is in ALAC format, a codec that Sonos already supports (my home library is all ripped in ALAC). Apple needs to make the ALAC versions of the files available to Sonos and they haven't. I didn't realize this and didn't check before switching from Tidal to Apple. I'm considering switching back. Apple, please work with Sonos to make lossless music available directly in the Sonos app.

Apr 22, 2023 1:29 PM in response to nicxjames

I have just cancelled my Apple Music subscription because I can’t get Lossess when using AirPlay 2 with Sonos. When I hear the new service I have switched to, the sound quality is night and day compared to Apple Music. My partner has done a blind test to see if I can tell which service is which and every time I hear the clarity and separation of lossless.

I like the Apple Music UI and other things, but a deal breaker for me is the lack of lossless. I’m not bothered about Ultra High Resolution, I can’t tell the difference. Apple please let us Sonos users have lossless with Sonos and your service!

Aug 26, 2022 10:39 AM in response to nicxjames

Hi nicxjames,

Thanks for posting here in Apple Support Communities. Bluetooth connections currently don't support lossless audio as it isn't capable of transmitting data at such high speeds. You can see more about this here: About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support

Can I listen to lossless audio over Bluetooth?
We will deliver music using lossless audio compression to your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV. Lossless will play back normally on Bluetooth speakers and headphones. However, Bluetooth connections don’t support lossless audio.

Enjoy your day.

Dec 2, 2022 7:42 AM in response to FstrThanYours

The problem is not with Apple. Apple Music will support lossless and hi resolution lossless versions just as soon as Sonos makes their system support it. If you want something to complain about with Apple, how about the Apple TV. Which even though it is considered via HDMI 2.1 and could support both standards doesn’t support hi resolution. And as far as I can tell, there is no way to add a external DAC like you can do on a iOS device.

Lossless and/or Spatial Audio with Sonos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.