Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop folders and files Disappeared overnight

I woke up this morning to all of the folders and files on my desktop having disappeared. My documents folder also disappeared from my dock. I can get to everything through the iCloud Drive but prefer to have some files and folders on my desktop. Does anyone know what would have caused this and how to fix it or get the folders back onto my desktop and dock and accessible from the side bar in a finder window? I have restarted and also force quit the finder without success.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 3:19 PM

Go to your hard drive -> Users -> and verify the home folder with the house icon has the username you normally log in to. If it doesn't, go to Apple menu -> Log Out, and log in the user you are used to using.

5 replies

Aug 25, 2022 8:15 PM in response to Weehawk

You may have inadvertently clicked to log in as another user last night instead of putting it to sleep or shutting down, and then logged in this morning as a guest user. This has happened to me once or twice. One “tell” for this is if you have set a customized picture as your desktop screen, the guest user screen is typically Apple’s default image instead.

Aug 31, 2022 4:36 PM in response to Weehawk

Files could disappear as a matter of backup software that has been moved to iCloud or OneDrive. If you have a large iCloud account, and select Documents, Desktop or user folders to be put in iCloud, At which time, the documents that were local on your computer would no longer be there, but would still be visible as subfolders of iCloud on the left hand side of a Finder window. OneDrive has similar syncing functionality, though I can't say for certain if it would do such stuff.

The upside of putting Documents in the cloud of your AppleID account, is that all iDevices linked to that AppleID account can see the documents in the cloud. The downside, the larger the document folder size, the longer the synchronization process is. Temporary documents may be put in your hard drive's root folder relevant to iCloud, OneDrive, or even Time Machine backup, but only while the synchronizing is taking place or is paused. If you pause it because of lack of connection, it may take time before it actually reappears on your desktop. You can Option-drag files out of the iCloud folders and copy them to your local User folder ensuring you follow the path structure on the left sidebar of your Finder window. The Desktop when it is backed up though will remain empty, and will only be apparent under the iCloud folder.

Apple menu -> System preferences -> iCloud or AppleID lets you have greater control over what's backed up otherwise to iCloud. This varies depending on Mac OS version. iCloud Drive preferences on Monterey under AppleID -> iCloud lets you select Desktop and Documents folder. If that is selected, that's the source of your problem.

Desktop folders and files Disappeared overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.