Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move the dock to the left of my external display?

I currently have a macbook and an external display, with the laptop to the left of the external display. I mainly use the external display and would like the dock to appear on that, on it's left. Currently my arrangement is:

With the dock where the red line is. I'd like the dock to be moved here:

I tried moving the menu bar to the external display, and setting the dock to left:

And disabled "Displays have separate Spaces":

But it just goes to the left of the laptop.

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 1:59 PM

You cannot.

You cannot position the dock where two adjacent screens overlap.

Since the left side of your external display aligns with the right side of your internal display, this area cannot be used for the dock (either the left side of the external, nor the right side of the built-in).

When you choose Left or Right, the dock is positioned based upon the concept of a single, unified desktop (i.e. 'Right' will always appear at the right hand side of the right-most screen, and 'Left' will appear on the left hand side of the left-most screen). At no point will the dock appear in the middle of the global desktop.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2022 1:59 PM in response to kdemelle

You cannot.

You cannot position the dock where two adjacent screens overlap.

Since the left side of your external display aligns with the right side of your internal display, this area cannot be used for the dock (either the left side of the external, nor the right side of the built-in).

When you choose Left or Right, the dock is positioned based upon the concept of a single, unified desktop (i.e. 'Right' will always appear at the right hand side of the right-most screen, and 'Left' will appear on the left hand side of the left-most screen). At no point will the dock appear in the middle of the global desktop.

Aug 26, 2022 12:21 PM in response to kdemelle

Hello kdemelle,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities.

We understand you'd like to place your dock on the left-hand side of your external display. You should be able to do this if you set the external display as your main display at Apple menu () > System Preferences > Displays > Display Settings

See here: Change Displays preferences on Mac

We hope that helps. Take care.

How do I move the dock to the left of my external display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.