Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want my iPad to connect to my work WiFi but not my iPhone

Hi all,

Hoping I could get some help here. I would like my iPad mini (WiFi) to connect automatically to my Work Wifi, but not my iPhone. It would appear even 'Forgetting the network' on my iPhone affects connectivity on my iPad and vice versa. I do use keychain across all my devices, but this seems to be limiting me from selectively connecting certain devices to WiFi. Anyone else have this issue ? Or can offer any help ?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 4:17 PM

As you may already realise, your WiFi password are stored within - and shared between devices - using your Keychain. This simplifies connection to known WiFi networks.

You can control whether or not an individual device will automatically connect to any specific WiFi network from the individual device settings while you are within range of the target WiFi network:

Settings > WiFi > [WiFi Network Name] - tap the blue “i” icon - Auto-Join - set to ON or OFF as required

This setting is applied by the device upon which it is set. As such, while your iPad and iPhone may share the WiFi network credentials via your Keychain, you can configure only one device to automatically connect to the target WiFi network when within range.

The Auto-Join setting is set individually for each device and network; the setting itself is not shared between devices.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2022 4:17 PM in response to navinc83

As you may already realise, your WiFi password are stored within - and shared between devices - using your Keychain. This simplifies connection to known WiFi networks.

You can control whether or not an individual device will automatically connect to any specific WiFi network from the individual device settings while you are within range of the target WiFi network:

Settings > WiFi > [WiFi Network Name] - tap the blue “i” icon - Auto-Join - set to ON or OFF as required

This setting is applied by the device upon which it is set. As such, while your iPad and iPhone may share the WiFi network credentials via your Keychain, you can configure only one device to automatically connect to the target WiFi network when within range.

The Auto-Join setting is set individually for each device and network; the setting itself is not shared between devices.

Want my iPad to connect to my work WiFi but not my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.