Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sometimes I can back up to an older computer and sometimes phone doesn't show up in iTunes, why not?

Why doesn't my phone show up on my older MBP in ITUNES?

Posted on Aug 25, 2022 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 1:38 PM

For iOS 14 or later you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2022 1:38 PM in response to itasarah

For iOS 14 or later you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

sometimes I can back up to an older computer and sometimes phone doesn't show up in iTunes, why not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.