Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New SO-DiMM RAM

Recently, a new generation of RAM appeared, "DDR5".

Can I upgrade my device from "IMAC 20.1"?

Is there compatibility?

link SO-DIMM RAM DDR5: https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/client/ddr5-4800mts-non_ecc-unbuffered-sodimm

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 1:47 AM

5 replies

Aug 27, 2022 9:02 PM in response to HeshamHamood

Never buy memory just based on technical specifications as there are a lot of other technical specifications which the computer manufacturers don't list which are necessary for compatibility. Only use the exact part numbers suggested by using one of the two tools on the Crucial website to get the exact part numbers compatible with your exact model Mac. Crucial actually says "Mac Compatible" or "For Mac" for the memory that is compatible with a Mac. In fact the plastic packaging the Crucial RAM ships in should show the same "Mac" designation.

Also, Kingston memory does not have the best track record with Macs.... especially their "Value RAM".

Most forum contributors will only recommend using memory from Crucial or OWC with a Mac because they tend to be the most compatible. Other memory may work, but users are more likely to run into compatibility issues on a Mac.

Use the link provided by @dialabrain for the proper Mac compatible modules. Notice how each memory part mentions the "Mac" whereas the link you provided earlier does not. The memory you linked would likely have had intermittent issues and crashes. I haven't purchased memory based only on technical specs since 2006 because things have become much more complicated since then so I will only purchase memory by using the appropriate tools on the memory vendors' websites to get the correct memory for a Mac or a PC Logic Board.

New SO-DiMM RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.