Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages App continuously VERY slow to start and hangs throughout the session.

MacBookPro M1, when I start messages app it takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes to start. Then it will allow a few characters to be typed then get the "Spinning wheel" for 2-5 minutes, most times I will get the Application Hung error, send to Apple?. I always choose send.

I have tried all of the remedies, short of re-installing the OS I cannot afford to take the chance of data loss, the most critical is I cannot take the time to do a fresh re-install. This just started happening in the past couple of months. No new software or hardware has been added, save Monterey OS updates.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2022 7:10 AM

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

7 - Most recent version of Monterey as of Aug 17, 2022 is now Monterey 12.5.1

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2022 7:10 AM in response to Captain_Skip

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps in the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

7 - Most recent version of Monterey as of Aug 17, 2022 is now Monterey 12.5.1

Messages App continuously VERY slow to start and hangs throughout the session.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.