You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Additional verification" loop on iPhone 4 (iOS 7.1.2, I think)

I am having the same problem described in this posting:

Additional verification required but no f… - Apple Community

Basically, my iPhone is stuck in an infinite loop where it keeps requesting "additional verification", sending me several verification codes at a time, instructing me to enter them but giving me no place whatsoever to do so (and no keyboard to do it with), returning to the home screen, asking me to agree to terms and conditions, then repeating the whole sequence again.

I do not know how to get out of this loop. It keeps turning on my phone every few minutes to tell me it needs this verification again, and it is draining my battery rapidly to do so.

I have shut down and restarted the phone repeatedly. I do not dare reset the phone because I do not know the last time, if ever, it was successfully backed up, and do not know how to verify this.

I have a feeling the whole process is not compatible with iOS 7.x, but I can't make it stop.

Do I need to define an iCloud account at all? What do I lose by deleting it entirely?

I'm at my wits' end so if someone knows a solution, I'm all ears (so to speak).

iPhone 4

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 11:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 9:41 AM

Hello sols33,

If you're using two-factor authentication for the Apple ID, and having issues entering the verification code in on an older device/software, then this page's "What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?" section will help to provide the needed info: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

In there it'll help to note the following:

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

For example, if the password is "Password", and the verification code is "123456", you would enter the password and the verification into the same password box, with no spaces between the two, and it'd look like this: Password123456

Cheers.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2022 9:41 AM in response to sols33

Hello sols33,

If you're using two-factor authentication for the Apple ID, and having issues entering the verification code in on an older device/software, then this page's "What if I use two-factor authentication on a device running older software?" section will help to provide the needed info: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

In there it'll help to note the following:

If you use two-factor authentication with devices running older OS versions—like an Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation)—you might be asked to add your six-digit verification code to the end of your password when signing in. Get your verification code from a trusted device running iOS 9 and later or OS X El Capitan and later, or have it sent to your trusted phone number. Then type your password followed by the six-digit verification code directly into the password field.

For example, if the password is "Password", and the verification code is "123456", you would enter the password and the verification into the same password box, with no spaces between the two, and it'd look like this: Password123456

Cheers.

"Additional verification" loop on iPhone 4 (iOS 7.1.2, I think)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.