Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 years of backup disappeared on Time Machine

I use Time Machine on an 1Tb external Hard Drive and started to backup in 2016. So, I was checking how much space was free to keep backing up and found strange there was 90Gb of free space (the last time I checked was 60Gb free). So I realized Time Machine simply deleted older backups without any advice or alert (the 2016, 2017 and 2018 backups simply vanished). Ok, I know Time Machine deletes older backups, but the disk never went full and I never wondered TM would do that without any alert.

Is there a way to recover the files? A third-part software?

As long I still have 90Gb free, maybe the files weren't overwritten.

Thank you.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 2:11 PM

Hello,

90GB free isn't enough for Time Machine backups, and a drive from 2016 could be getting close to failure. I recommend you unplug this Time Machine drive and archive it, then start new Time Machine backups with a new external disk that is 2-3 times larger than the disks you're backing up.

These specific external hard disks, sold by Apple, are excellent options and compatible with Time Machine:

If you have an iMac earlier than 2017, you will also need a USB-C to USB-A 3.1 cable, such as this one, for compatibility with your older generation Mac.

You can then Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

Jack

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2022 2:11 PM in response to leo.037

Hello,

90GB free isn't enough for Time Machine backups, and a drive from 2016 could be getting close to failure. I recommend you unplug this Time Machine drive and archive it, then start new Time Machine backups with a new external disk that is 2-3 times larger than the disks you're backing up.

These specific external hard disks, sold by Apple, are excellent options and compatible with Time Machine:

If you have an iMac earlier than 2017, you will also need a USB-C to USB-A 3.1 cable, such as this one, for compatibility with your older generation Mac.

You can then Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

Jack

Aug 27, 2022 4:38 PM in response to dialabrain

I'm very frustrated and disappointed.

I used Time Machine to not worry about backing up my files, but I couldn't be more wrong.

Of course disk space is a physical limitation (and is impossible to multiply it), but don't having an alert when the disk space is full is an unforgivable flaw. I see 60 Gb free and my intuition says: ok, it's not full and I can wait more to change the disk...

If have to guess when TM will delete my files, it makes more sense choose the files I want to backup, drag to external drive and etc...

Well, I'm just stunned, because this is the opposite of what I like more on Apple: intuitive and trustable products.

:'(

Still wishing that could have a software to try to recover the deleted files.

Aug 28, 2022 6:17 AM in response to leo.037

I can’t help with getting your old files back. However it should be noted that Time Machine is designed to do hourly backups which are useful when you’ve lost a recent file or you need to restore a new installation to the latest stable status. It was never intended for long term storage of archived files. With the lowering cost of storage, important files can be selectively stored on external drives.

3 years of backup disappeared on Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.