Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't the Roland TD50x or the digital hi hat work with Logic Pro?

I have a Roland electronic drum kit with the digital hi hat, snare, ride and the TD50x module, when using MIDI to connect the drums to Logic Pro there are all sorts of triggering problems, mostly with the hi hat, it will only read it as open, it won't read a hit on the top of the cymbal, only the edge. I have seen the tutorials that say to change the mapping to V-Drum in the drum kit designer, this works for reading hits better but now it only plays a closed hi hat sound no matter how open the pedal is.

In the standalone EZdrummer 3 app everything triggers PERFECTLY, but if I load the EXACT SAME plugin inside of Logic Pro with the same settings it doesn't trigger properly. The problem is pretty consistently with the digital hi hat only playing as open and the pedal not affecting it at all. If I have the mapping set to the Toontrack standard (instead of TD50x mapping) the hi hat does work but I have to apply such a tremendous amount of pressure to the pedal to get the hi hat to close that I have to shift my posture completely and it's too inconvenient to be worth it.

I also tried with Addictive Drums 2, same problem, the hi hat at least works in the standalone app (I did have a problem with the choke on the crash though) but once it's opened through Logic Pro it doesn't.

The last thing is that I tried using EZdrummer 3 as a plugin inside of REAPER and it all worked PERFECTLY, it's only Logic Pro that seems to have a problem with the MIDI. I have looked everywhere for an answer but everyone just mentions the "change to V-Drums" approach which does not work.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 27, 2022 7:58 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 27, 2022 8:15 PM in response to Blefty

Blefty User level Said:

"Why doesn't the Roland TD50x or the digital hi hat work with Logic Pro?: I have a Roland electronic drum kit with the digital hi hat, snare, ride and the TD50x module, when using MIDI to connect the drums to Logic Pro there are all sorts of triggering problems, mostly with the hi hat, it will only read it as open [...]Any insight is greatly appreciated."

-------

Contact the Developer:

It may be an extension you need to install.

Aug 28, 2022 4:33 AM in response to Blefty

Hey, to my knowledge it's a known issue with how electronic drum kits interact with Logic. And the fact that it just affects the hat points to some inconsistencies with MIDI mapping (of the hat and hat pedal triggers). Which also points to a potential solution using MIDI filtering in Logic OR tweaking the mapping in TD-50x's "brain" unit manually.

I'd approach this from the Roland side of things, in other words. Have you tried getting in touch with Roland tech support, BTW?

Aug 28, 2022 10:12 PM in response to Radarhus

No I have not asked Roland tech support, that's probably a good idea, thanks.

I did try using the scripter to remap the MIDI but all of the hi hat hits (whether open, closed, top, edge, whatever) register as the same note (D#0 I think, or sometimes it just registers as "88" and doesn't even show up on a piano roll).

Apologies if it's a stupid question but what do you mean by MIDI filtering? I admit I'm very new to this so I don't entirely know what I'm doing, I used a really old edrum kit with GarageBand for years and recently decided to upgrade, I never had problems with that kit though.

Why doesn't the Roland TD50x or the digital hi hat work with Logic Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.