Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No WiFi, can’t update iPhone

iPhone 12

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 4:47 PM

If you don't have access to Wifi, go somewhere you can access Wifi. A friends house. A business with Wifi (Starbucks, for example). Or you can use a computer to update your iPhone, with iTunes (Windows) or Finder (Mac - Catalina or higher).

Update software on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support (CA)

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2022 4:47 PM in response to Annlmla

If you don't have access to Wifi, go somewhere you can access Wifi. A friends house. A business with Wifi (Starbucks, for example). Or you can use a computer to update your iPhone, with iTunes (Windows) or Finder (Mac - Catalina or higher).

Update software on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support (CA)

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the Finder - Apple Support

Aug 28, 2022 4:59 PM in response to Annlmla

Annlmla Said:

"No WiFi, can’t update iPhone"

-------

Updating an iPhone 12:

Do so using Ethernet on a computer.

Use my User Tip:  Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip

Back Up First:

IMPORTANT: If you have an option to update, however, then be certain you backup your iPhone first. That way, you will have something to restore your iPhone from should anything go wrong with the update.

Aug 28, 2022 5:00 PM in response to Annlmla

I think it would take too long to download at the library or wherever has WiFi, but I will try

I would expect 5-10 minutes to download the update on average library or coffee place connection.

I was hoping Apple could email me with the update file attached, maybe?

I suppose they could, but I would be surprised if they did, since they require a direct connection to your phone from the Internet.

Aug 28, 2022 5:10 PM in response to Annlmla

Apple, nor anyone can email you the update file. 256MB isn't that large and would only take 15 or so minutes at the library.

But Lawrence noticed something I didn't notice and that is you own iPhone 12. If you pay for 5G Service, you can do the update using cellular data. If you don't pay for 5G service, you can't and either going somewhere where you can use Wifi or do the update using a computer is what you'll need to do.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.