Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So Mac's get slower in time?

Do Mac's get slower in time? After a bit of research, I found that insufficient RAM or low storage space can lead to performance degrade.

But what if I constantly monitor my hard disk usage, make sure my RAM is never a problem, clean out the dust in a CPU every three years?

With that being said, If I do all those things mentioned above, will my computer ever slow down in performance?

If it does not, then is the only thing that can reduce Macbook performance is obsolescence and new macOS upgrades on old hardware?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 28, 2022 9:01 PM

8 replies

Aug 29, 2022 5:39 AM in response to woodmeister50

I was right for always avoiding Disk cleaning and anti-virus apps from being installed on my Mac.

One question, the number of apps installed can affect performance? I thought it always was background processes or CPU-eating apps or activities that slow down the computer, not the number of apps installed. As long as I'm not running many apps in the same time I'm good, right?

Aug 29, 2022 5:20 AM in response to Cyflor-N-Ac

For the most part, slowdown of any computers over time totally depends on the sort and number of apps that get installed and any associated background processes that they install that slowly eat away at CPU time and also disk access causing normal operation and active app usage to get starved for resources. The biggest offenders are so called "optimizing" and cleaner apps. Also, the vast majority of anti-virus apps tend to simply kill performance out of the gate.

Sep 3, 2022 2:25 PM in response to Cyflor-N-Ac

You asked; the number of apps installed can affect performance?

installing a number of apps in itself doesn’t really cause any slow down, unless your running low on disk space. Running low on disk space can cause excess ram to disk swapping. The typical number I use for the system needs “at least” 10% of free space left, but 20% is a better number to plan for.

So if you have plenty of disk space, adding more apps is not typically a problem if you keep the disk space free numbers mentioned above.

With that said, what can also cause an issue is having multiple apps running at the same time. Especially heavy hitters a Final Cut Studio, Motion, Logic Pro Studio, and many other professional graphic editing apps.

The key here is to not have all the apps running at once. If you need them for whatever reason to be all running at the same time.

The things to watch/plan for is;

• the amount of memory onboard (ram) and what’s the free space available
  • disk access speed in milliseconds
  • read/write speeds for hard disks, or SSD

Sep 11, 2022 4:35 AM in response to supercondr

I understand what you mean now.

I don't think there should be a problem. All the apps that I run in the background for what I use are never causing any high memory pressure or anything. I have my Storage space under control because with everything I currently have installed/downloaded; I have 50.6GB of free space of the 121.12GB capacity, I should be fine.

So Mac's get slower in time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.