Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I have 2 startup disks on the same Mac

Due to the internal Fusion Drive on my iMac recently becoming sluggish, I preformed a clean macOS Monterey install (from a bootable drive), in the hope the problem would be solved. Running EtreCheck Pro after the install revealed a slight improvement on the computer performance, but the diagnosis still revealed "poor HD performance", impairing the computer's performance while I'm recording (I'm a professional session musician). I decided then to make an external 1TB SSD drive my start up disk.

I assume I'll have to install the OS one that SSD drive as well, but can I still keep the OS installed in my internal sluggish Fusion Drive? Will my Apple ID profile recognize this as a "new computer"?

Can anybody please shed some light on the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Bruno.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 7:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 7:46 AM

You can have as many bootable disks as you want (and have storage for), and can select and boot from any connected, though only one startup device can be the default.

Usual reason for these trouble reports is a split Fusion, or write-heavy activities, or a failing HDD. A failing SSD is also possible, though less common.

Fusion operates at HDD speeds once the SSD cache is overwhelmed.

The size of the SSD varies, and some of the Fusion SSD configurations were tiny.

Run Diagnostics or DriveDx and check the HDD status: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

To reconstitute: How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

To answer your questions, yes, you can have multiple bootable devices and any that are bootable can be set up to boot.

To create a bootable macOS device, you do need to for at it as GUID GPT partitioning and (for any recent macOS) APFS file system, and then load macOS.

How to Setup and Use an External SSD as your startup disk… - Apple Community

An external SSD on a fast bus (USB 3.x or Thunderbolt) is usually preferable to a Fusion, particularly for write-heavy workloads.

Change your Mac startup disk - Apple Support

Another detail to check is memory, particularly if you have the 8 GB configuration, or are making heavy use of what you do have. Available memory in an iMac 27” can usually be upgraded. The SSD will usually be a more significant gain, then memory if you’re in an 8 GB configuration, or have more memory installed but are using it all.

Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

And technically, if the SSD and HDD within that Fusion is all working, and if the SSD is big enough, you could split and install and boot from either or both. The SSD probably isn’t big enough for anything useful; not past a bootable installer, or such.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2022 7:46 AM in response to migliari

You can have as many bootable disks as you want (and have storage for), and can select and boot from any connected, though only one startup device can be the default.

Usual reason for these trouble reports is a split Fusion, or write-heavy activities, or a failing HDD. A failing SSD is also possible, though less common.

Fusion operates at HDD speeds once the SSD cache is overwhelmed.

The size of the SSD varies, and some of the Fusion SSD configurations were tiny.

Run Diagnostics or DriveDx and check the HDD status: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

To reconstitute: How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

To answer your questions, yes, you can have multiple bootable devices and any that are bootable can be set up to boot.

To create a bootable macOS device, you do need to for at it as GUID GPT partitioning and (for any recent macOS) APFS file system, and then load macOS.

How to Setup and Use an External SSD as your startup disk… - Apple Community

An external SSD on a fast bus (USB 3.x or Thunderbolt) is usually preferable to a Fusion, particularly for write-heavy workloads.

Change your Mac startup disk - Apple Support

Another detail to check is memory, particularly if you have the 8 GB configuration, or are making heavy use of what you do have. Available memory in an iMac 27” can usually be upgraded. The SSD will usually be a more significant gain, then memory if you’re in an 8 GB configuration, or have more memory installed but are using it all.

Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

And technically, if the SSD and HDD within that Fusion is all working, and if the SSD is big enough, you could split and install and boot from either or both. The SSD probably isn’t big enough for anything useful; not past a bootable installer, or such.

Aug 29, 2022 7:51 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hey MrHoffman, that was incredibly helpful, thanks so much!

I'll run the Diagnostics to check my Fusion Drive and repair it, if possible. But since you mentioned the external SSD would be an improvement (the one I bought by SanDisk is capable of reading and writing at 2.000 MB/s), I'll go ahead and make it my main startup disk, regardless of successfully repairing the Fusion Drive.

Very grateful for your help!

Cheers,

Bruno.

Aug 30, 2022 7:12 AM in response to migliari

Hey MrHoffman,

Thank you so much for your help - it’s deeply appreciated.

Indeed I took that path and installed MacOS Monterey on an external SSD, making it my startup volume, and added more RAM (to the maximum supported by my processor: 32GB). Now everything is running smoothly (I concluded the procedure yesterday, do the real test will be on today’s remote recording sessions I have booked 😉).

Cheers,

Bruno.

Can I have 2 startup disks on the same Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.