Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I did an erase on my mac book air and now all i get is a flashing question mark

I erased my MacBook Air but it doesn't give me a choice to reinstall the OS. All I get is a flashing question mark. How do I reinstall the OS if I don't have startup disk?

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 2:01 AM

Was this method from Apple Used ? Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac

Then this would be used. How to reinstall macOS

Follow these guidelines during installation:

• If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
  • If the installer doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk first.
  • If the installer offers you the choice between installing on Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data, choose Macintosh HD.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2022 2:01 AM in response to Community User

Was this method from Apple Used ? Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac

Then this would be used. How to reinstall macOS

Follow these guidelines during installation:

• If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
  • If the installer doesn't see your disk, or it says that it can't install on your computer or volume, you might need to erase your disk first.
  • If the installer offers you the choice between installing on Macintosh HD or Macintosh HD - Data, choose Macintosh HD.

I did an erase on my mac book air and now all i get is a flashing question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.