Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When attempting to connect to wifi, it says incorrect password

I recently got ahold of a 3rd gen ipod touch, and i'm unable to connect to any wifi. I've made sure its the right password, and tried to connect it to a hotspot as well, but it wont connect to anything. Any idea why or how to fix this?

(I came across another community post that said the issue was because roaming needed to be turneed off, but my device cant connect to anything so im not sure how to do that.)

iPod Touch (3rd Gen)

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 12:38 AM

The most likely explanation is that you are trying to connect to your router's 5G signal, which the 3rd generation iPod Touch cannot use.

Check your router; if it has both a 5 GHz band a 2.4 GHz option, use the 2.4 GHz one. You do this in the iPod's Settings/Wi-Fi menu; look for your router and hopefully you will notice that it appears twice; choose the 2.4 GHz one. If necessary, click on the i button next to the 5G one and tap the Forget This Network option.

Note that an iPod of that age will not be able to make use of the iTunes Store. It's online features will now be limited because of its limited security measures.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2022 12:38 AM in response to cayla1235

The most likely explanation is that you are trying to connect to your router's 5G signal, which the 3rd generation iPod Touch cannot use.

Check your router; if it has both a 5 GHz band a 2.4 GHz option, use the 2.4 GHz one. You do this in the iPod's Settings/Wi-Fi menu; look for your router and hopefully you will notice that it appears twice; choose the 2.4 GHz one. If necessary, click on the i button next to the 5G one and tap the Forget This Network option.

Note that an iPod of that age will not be able to make use of the iTunes Store. It's online features will now be limited because of its limited security measures.

When attempting to connect to wifi, it says incorrect password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.