Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 step verification phone number problem

My daughter can’t access her account because of 2 step verification. Apparently it has a different number on the 2 step verification then her phone number and can’t get the code to give access to her new phone

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 9:39 AM

2 Step Verification or 2 Factor Authentication?

If 2 Factor Authentication, see if anything here helps.  If necessary, she can use account recovery as explained in the link at bottom of the article.

Verification code - how to get one and sign in with two-factor authentication.   *

If she can get a code and sign in, she needs to change/add the number on her Apple ID. Look in the Security section when signed in online. She may have to add the new number before she can remove the old number. After the change, allow up to 24 hours for the change to sync. Before trying to make the change, sign out of Messages/FaceTime on all devices/computers.

Apple ID - Manage

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Chronicles32

2 Step Verification or 2 Factor Authentication?

If 2 Factor Authentication, see if anything here helps.  If necessary, she can use account recovery as explained in the link at bottom of the article.

Verification code - how to get one and sign in with two-factor authentication.   *

If she can get a code and sign in, she needs to change/add the number on her Apple ID. Look in the Security section when signed in online. She may have to add the new number before she can remove the old number. After the change, allow up to 24 hours for the change to sync. Before trying to make the change, sign out of Messages/FaceTime on all devices/computers.

Apple ID - Manage

Aug 30, 2022 9:50 AM in response to Eric Root

I think it’s both? She can’t get a code even if she signs in to Apple ID. Once we pass the password and Apple ID window it’ll show that they send a code to a number that we no longer have access to. So I can’t change the phone number in which she can get a code from. I just need to get the code to sign her in and then I can edit the phone number she has for 2 step verification. The authentication part we can’t continue either with account recovery because it goes back to step one it’ll ask her for the code they sent the phone number to in which we don’t have access to that phone number no more

Aug 30, 2022 10:27 AM in response to Chronicles32

Contact Apple ID Support for assistance.  See the Apple Support articles below for contact information.  

Apple ID - Official Apple Support.   -

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support.  *   (Link doesn’t always load)  

Get Support      -    Work through the screens to get a chat option. You may have to pick a slightly different problem.

Apple Support schedule phone call.   -

Apple on Twitter     

Messages chat with Apple  

From the Apple Support article below. 

Without proof of your identity via security questions and other carefully selected criteria, Apple Support can't help you reset a password or perform any other actions on your account. These policies are audited and reviewed on a regular basis.

Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support.      *

2 step verification phone number problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.