Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete photos on my iPad to free up space IF I am backing everything up in iCloud?h

Can I delete photos on my iPad to free up space IF I am backing everything up in iCloud?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Aug 29, 2022 8:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 2:28 AM

Be careful to fully understand your iPad settings - and impact of these settings to the consequences of deleting photos or data:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Photos > iCloud Photos - select from ON | OFF

If you have enabled Photos in iCloud, your Photos are automatically synchronised with iCloud. As photos are synchronised with iCloud, the photos will not be included within an iCloud backup. Deletion of photos from your iPad will also delete the photo from iCloud.

If instead you have not enabled Photos in iCloud, your photos are included in your iCloud backup. Deletion of your locally stored Photos will only delete the photo from your iPad - however, the next backup cycle will also remove the corresponding photo from the iCloud backup.

If you need to archive your photos, protecting them from deletion, you’ll need to copy them to somewhere other than your iPad/iCloud Photo Library.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2022 2:28 AM in response to Bsquare

Be careful to fully understand your iPad settings - and impact of these settings to the consequences of deleting photos or data:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > Photos > iCloud Photos - select from ON | OFF

If you have enabled Photos in iCloud, your Photos are automatically synchronised with iCloud. As photos are synchronised with iCloud, the photos will not be included within an iCloud backup. Deletion of photos from your iPad will also delete the photo from iCloud.

If instead you have not enabled Photos in iCloud, your photos are included in your iCloud backup. Deletion of your locally stored Photos will only delete the photo from your iPad - however, the next backup cycle will also remove the corresponding photo from the iCloud backup.

If you need to archive your photos, protecting them from deletion, you’ll need to copy them to somewhere other than your iPad/iCloud Photo Library.

Can I delete photos on my iPad to free up space IF I am backing everything up in iCloud?h

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.