Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail will not close which means I cannot restart of shutdown my iMac?

I am using outlook on my iMac; there is also the mail icon which is a mirror image of my outlook; I cannot shut it down, it will not allow me to quit. Ive tried all the suggestions people have made and Ive even tried to turn off the PC to force a shutdown but still I cannot get mail to close. Any ideas?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 5:44 AM

10 replies

Sep 5, 2022 5:47 PM in response to onthenew

If you go to "Activity Monitor" which should be in your Applications folder, then go to Utilities, and get that running, you should be able to double click on the application that won't quit, and you should get the options to quit or force quit, which works all of the time...... Activity Monitor will show all running applications, including the Finder, and you can force quit all of them, if you want to

hope this helps

John B

Sep 6, 2022 6:22 AM in response to Farrare

Have you tried disconnecting from the Internet to see if Mail finally comes up with a dialog box?

Are you able to run other Ap[ps when Mal is being stubborn?

Start with this of M1 or M2 Mac...

Start up a Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds.

Press and hold the power button on your Mac until the startup options window appears showing available startup disks and Options.

Select a startup disk.

Press and hold the Shift key, click Continue in Safe Mode, then release the Shift key.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac normally, without pressing and holding any keys during startup.

Start with this if IntelMac...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Mail will not close which means I cannot restart of shutdown my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.