Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV HDMI Passthrough

Hi there:

I just bought an Apple TV 4K and as far as I can see t it doesn't have HDMI passthrough option.

Does anyone knows if we can expect this feature in the near future?.

Regards.'

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2022 8:36 AM

No, I mean the option in the audio menu were you set the audio to passthrough by the hdmi port without any internal processing by the apple tv software.

Currently Apple TV presents me two audio options:

• Change format off (this one will decode the audio and then converts it to uncompressed LPCM before sending it to my equipment)
  • Change format on (this one will decode the audio and then converts it to DD 5.1 or Stereo, depending on the option)

What I mean is, if will see in the near future a setting that will allow apple tv to bypass the audio, through the hdmi port, without decoding and processing, so I can assign this task to my av receiver.

Thank you.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2022 8:36 AM in response to Rudegar

No, I mean the option in the audio menu were you set the audio to passthrough by the hdmi port without any internal processing by the apple tv software.

Currently Apple TV presents me two audio options:

• Change format off (this one will decode the audio and then converts it to uncompressed LPCM before sending it to my equipment)
  • Change format on (this one will decode the audio and then converts it to DD 5.1 or Stereo, depending on the option)

What I mean is, if will see in the near future a setting that will allow apple tv to bypass the audio, through the hdmi port, without decoding and processing, so I can assign this task to my av receiver.

Thank you.

Aug 30, 2022 10:05 AM in response to lkrupp

That's right, I know apple TV is supposed to be aimed to the mass consumer market, but, for those in the audiophile niche, that doesn't want their audio being handled by anything but their state of the art processor, hdmi passthrough is a must.

Also, Disney+ is offering movies in Imax Enhanced mode, so they will also need to support DTS.

Hope this message get to some apple product developer or engineer.

Aug 30, 2022 7:28 AM in response to jomahaca

if you mean that it would have 2 hdmi ports then I would not hold my breath

they made 5 appletv models and never have more ports been added,

this is how the first one looked

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/Apple_TV._1st_generation-2290.jpg/220px-Apple_TV._1st_generation-2290.jpg

this is the latest

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJCHJjOqxQAYFqEskpJxLwebJE-Tq-3q9ia7iJHnuCobXjaD8C_fxtTyrigH8R9k71Vt8&usqp=CAU

but you can of cause suggest they add stuff using

Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Aug 30, 2022 9:08 AM in response to jomahaca

Sorry, no, there has never been an audio passthrough option on the Apple TV even though users have been clamoring for it forever. If the signal input is Dolby Digital the output from the Apple TV will simply be Multi-channel PCM unless the user sets the default output to Dolby Digital. But then every input is output as Dolby Digital. The exception is Dolby Atmos. Why Apple chose to do it this way is a mystery to me. I would also like to see Dolby Digital + on my Denon AVR.

Join the club by sending feedback...

Feedback - Apple TV - Apple

Apple TV HDMI Passthrough

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.